1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

McMurrays broilers

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by brooster, Jun 17, 2007.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I got some of McMurrays cornish roaster for a 4-H project and to eat for myself and i was wondering if they did any good at the fair, or if anyone knew where to get good fair chickens.

2. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    We are new to 4-H so I really don't know but we plan to show some polish we hatched from eggs from McMurray. I also go some Frizzled Polish from a breeder from the Polish website. I was looking at their website last night and a breeder was selling 2 adult polish for $100 plus shipping. I can't afford that right now. So we will just do the best we can with what we've got.

jackie

3. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I don't know about where you live, but here, all the 4-H broilers have to come from the same hatchery, and be purchased during a certain time frame.

Here, all have to be from Ideal Hatchery.

Jean

4. mommahento5

mommahento5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    I'll let you know in about a week! [​IMG]

We also bought 25 cornish X broilers from MM and are raising them for 4 H and for our own use. In Indiana there are no regulations as to where you buy them from, you just have to have got them from a NPIP hatchery (which MM is), or have them blood tested. We got our chicks the day after Memorial day which makes them 6 weeks old in 2 days. We have just started weighing them, and already a few are above our "broiler" class weight. (we have a broiler class of weights less than 5 1/2 lbs, and a roaster class of above 5 1/2 pounds) We maked all the ones that were above 5 lbs, and anything below 4 lbs with a marker, and will be keeping an eye on the ones in the 4 lb range for the next week. Hopefully they won't gain too much weight by next Sunday.

We are trying to keep them in the broiler class cause that is the only class in our county that goes to auction. We made the deal with our son if he wanted to take chickens and get the auction money he had to help take care of them, so he is all about earing that auction money! [​IMG]

Anyway, I'll post to let you know how ours make out. Have you got your chicks started yet? When is your fair?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by