McMurry hatchery wrong???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brianm97, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    i not shure but this doesnt make any sense
    "Did You Know?
    Hens will start producing eggs between 5-7 months of age."

i think it is supposed to be weeks maybe [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    No it's months.

3. BradnKellie

BradnKellie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Highland City, FL
    My black sex-links started at about 4 months and the americaunas about 2 weeks later.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    definitely months. Mine usually start anywhere from 20 weeks for hybrids to 32 weeks for some. Its just according to the light and the type of hen. Gloria Jean

5. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    My chickens are from Mcmurray and yes they are correct 5-7 months for my girls I have never heard of weeks for a hen to lay there still babies....... [​IMG]

6. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Mine started at 6 months and 1 of our EE's just laid their 1st egg today 7 months.

7. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    ok ok ok i got confuesed where i got them from it was 3 to 5 months

8. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I think in all animals there are some early developers and yes some of mine did start at 22 weeks, but most of my hatch from late April are still not laying and none of my late June hatch seem to be doing a thing. 5 to 7 seems right.

9. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I have a polish from April who is just starting up. My ameraucana just layed her very first (gorgeous blue) egg yesterday [​IMG] and she is a late may hatch. My EE from early June isn't giving me anything yet...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  10. lindabean

lindabean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    I think I got my 1st egg today from my April babies. It only weights 1.5 oz's, where all my other brown eggs have been right at 2.0 oz's. Don't know who laid it, but didn't see my barred rock most of the day, so it might have been her. I sure hope this breaks the dry spell, as I've been having to BUY eggs for about a month and a half. I'm about ready to break down and figure out putting a times light in their house. Does it have to be inside and outside the house, or just inside? Also thinking about expanding their living quarters. I thought they would use the screen porch, but they don't, so I'm going to enclose it to enlarge the house. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by