Me asking duck questions

PippinTheChicken

🧡🤍💙
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
I have a duck now. A week-old baby muscovy being raised by my silkie. I'm new to ducks so I need a thread where I can ask questions.
Here it is.

First one: I know muscovies can fly so when will I need to start clipping Chuck's wings? I know he's just fuzzy now so...

2nd one: when he grows up, will he require waterfowl food? Should I just mix it with my hen's pellets so everyone gets some of the right food or is there a better way to givw the right food?

Right now he's on chick crumb suitable for chicks and ducklings

Hi! You’ll want more than 1 duck. In this case preferably another Muscovy. I’m not sure about Muscovy but ducks in general require more Niacin and the chick crumble isn’t usually suitable (by itself), you should consider adding nutritional yeast. As far as clipping wings I would assume you’d need to wait until the flight feathers come in. You may find this website helpful. https://beautyofbirds.com/clipping-muscovy-ducks-wings-when-how-precautions-to-take/

First one: I know muscovies can fly so when will I need to start clipping Chuck's wings? I know he's just fuzzy now so...
3½ - 4 months is when I have had to clip my Muscovies flight feathers. Somewhere in that time frame he/she will do a small test flight. It will be more than just a hop & flutter. That's THE day you want to clip.
2nd one: when he grows up, will he require waterfowl food? Should I just mix it with my hen's pellets so everyone gets some of the right food or is there a better way to givw the right food?
I've raised my ducks on Flock Raiser crumbles as free choice, with nothing else added. Free ranging all day. A handful of cat food (soaked in water to expand before they eat it) w/mealworms for dinner as a bribe to teach them to return to their run for the night. I switch them to Duck feed around the same time when I clip wings.

The little guy is doing well and has become friends with a chick about his age. His "face stuff" is starting to grow too

20230611_214211_HDR.jpg

Any useful things I should know about a duck around his age (3 weeks)

Back
Top Bottom