Me, colorblind....

tiktilaok

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
Well, i am not really colorblind. However, i do seem to be one since i cant really identify keet/adult colors.

Can i request again for your expertise on this one? Thank you so much..

And i also am not sure if the white coloration is just down feathers or if it is really part of its color...

Attachments

• IMG_20210805_144800.jpg
    IMG_20210805_144800.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210805_144854.jpg
    IMG_20210805_144854.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210805_144928.jpg
    IMG_20210805_144928.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210805_144937.jpg
    IMG_20210805_144937.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210805_144944.jpg
    IMG_20210805_144944.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210805_145014.jpg
    IMG_20210805_145014.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210805_145030.jpg
    IMG_20210805_145030.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 5
Well, i am not really colorblind. However, i do seem to be one since i cant really identify keet/adult colors.

Can i request again for your expertise on this one? Thank you so much..

And i also am not sure if the white coloration is just down feathers or if it is really part of its color...
There are two stages where most keets and guineas can be identified as to their color variety.

Unfortunately your keet is at a stage where they do not necessarily exhibit their actual color as they go through multiple molts before getting their true adult feathers.

Most keets can be identified once they are dry from hatching/ The head markings at that time are part of the identification process with a solid center stripe meaning they will be fully dotted, squiggly lines means partial dotting and solid head color means no dotting.

The other time they can be identified is once they have all of their mature feathers.

There are two stages where most keets and guineas can be identified as to their color variety.

Unfortunately your keet is at a stage where they do not necessarily exhibit their actual color as they go through multiple molts before getting their true adult feathers.

Most keets can be identified once they are dry from hatching/ The head markings at that time are part of the identification process with a solid center stripe meaning they will be fully dotted, squiggly lines means partial dotting and solid head color means no dotting.

The other time they can be identified is once they have all of their mature feathers.
Oh, i see. I honestly wasnt too keen on observing keet markings/colors since for the longest time, i have been hatching pearl greys and pieds only. So not to much to observe on because the keets will definitely either be pg or pg pied alone...

With what you said, from here onwards, i will do my best to keep an observant eye to new colors that i may possibly hatch..

Again, thank you so much for responding and i hope you guys wont get tired or too sick to answer my futher queries. Rest assured, i am doing a lot of readings and research. Its just that sometimes, it really gets confusing as one color would only have slight differences from each other.

Last edited:
Oh, i see. I honestly wasnt too keen on observing keet markings/colors since for the longest time, i have been hatching pearl greys and pieds only. So not to much to observe on because the keets will definitely either be pg or pg pied alone...

With what you said, from here onwards, i will do my best to keep an observant eye to new colors that i may possibly hatch..

Again, thank you so much for responding and i hope you guys wont get tired or too sick to answer my futher queries. Rest assured, i am doing a lot of readings and research. Its just that sometimes, it really gets confusing as one color would only have slight differences from each other.
The thing about hatching Pearl Grays is that they can carry hidden recessive genes that can show up in future generations. Guineas can also throw mutations and have unexpected colors show up. It isn't that common but it also isn't as rare as it can be with other species.

The thing about hatching Pearl Grays is that they can carry hidden recessive genes that can show up in future generations. Guineas can also throw mutations and have unexpected colors show up. It isn't that common but it also isn't as rare as it can be with other species.
That i know about! 😁 Last year, i was able to hatch 2 rp's from my pg/pied flock.
This year, i am hatching keets from other colors. I mark every pg/pied that would come out from a different color group so i would know where to group them in the future.
From where i hail from, most likely majority of the breeders will keep a mixed flock. Like i have a pair of african whites - i still never have hatched a white keet from them. All i get is either pg/pied. All i did was tag those pg/pied keets so maybe i could breed them back to one of their parents, or if i am to be lucky and could purchase more whites, then maybe the possibility of me getting whites would be better.
I do plan to breed gfs of the same color only. Would it be possible that in time, these gfs will breed true to their colors!?
And do gfs even really breed true?

That i know about! 😁 Last year, i was able to hatch 2 rp's from my pg/pied flock.
This year, i am hatching keets from other colors. I mark every pg/pied that would come out from a different color group so i would know where to group them in the future.
From where i hail from, most likely majority of the breeders will keep a mixed flock. Like i have a pair of african whites - i still never have hatched a white keet from them. All i get is either pg/pied. All i did was tag those pg/pied keets so maybe i could breed them back to one of their parents, or if i am to be lucky and could purchase more whites, then maybe the possibility of me getting whites would be better.
I do plan to breed gfs of the same color only. Would it be possible that in time, these gfs will breed true to their colors!?
Was it one of these? Thread 'Identifying keet colors' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/identifying-keet-colors.1473346/

If the guineas in question are a recessive color trait such as breeding Coral Blue to Coral Blue, you will get blue keets. The only reason they might not come out Coral Blue is because of the dotting genes. Coral Blue are partially dotted so they have at least one partial dotting gene. The other dotting gene could also be a partial dotting gene or it could be a no dotting gene.

Another example is Lavender. Lavenders will breed true to the blue color. Lavenders must also have at least one full dotting gene. I have a Lavender hen whose mate is a Coral Blue cock. Because I know that she has one full dotting gene and one partial dotting gene, that pair can make both Lavenders and Coral Blue keets.

If the guineas in question are a recessive color trait such as breeding Coral Blue to Coral Blue, you will get blue keets. The only reason they might not come out Coral Blue is because of the dotting genes. Coral Blue are partially dotted so they have at least one partial dotting gene. The other dotting gene could also be a partial dotting gene or it could be a no dotting gene.

Another example is Lavender. Lavenders will breed true to the blue color. Lavenders must also have at least one full dotting gene. I have a Lavender hen whose mate is a Coral Blue cock. Because I know that she has one full dotting gene and one partial dotting gene, that pair can make both Lavenders and Coral Blue keets.
That last part--i love the most! Im relieved to know that what i did was right. I have coral blues and lavenders, too. Unfortunately for the coral blues, all turned out to be males (purchased as keets). As with lavenders, i had mostly males and only a handful of females. So thats what i did! All lavender females went the coral blue males.... The rest of the lavender males went with the pg/pied group.. I dont hatch from that group, btw. Egga collected from them are just for consumption. Im more focused on the other color groups.

Hi there! Actually its a yes and a no. 😁🙄😁🙄
Yes, those keets were the first hatch that i had from my other color groups. They will eventually be grouped together with the other gfs of same color.

And, no. If you were referring to the 2 rp's that i hatched from the pg/pied flock, its not them. Actually, those 2 rp keets in the other post were already the keets that came out of my rp flock (5 were purchased from an rp gf breeder, plus the 2 rp's that hatched out of the pg/pied group.

Back
Top Bottom