Me, My Chickens, My Family: (pic heavy)

Aww, that was so sweet. I LOVE your Jersey Giant's eyes. I seem to have a thing for chickens with big brown eyes, like my Black Australorp, Betty. I just love those eyes of hers... so now I want a Jersey Giant too.
big_smile.png

Hi Robot...

I couldn't see the photos, as the base has us locked down due to bandwidth and security issues....but, I loved you story...

Nice selection of chickens, and good layers.. esp the Jersey...

Good luck with your chickens and hope you get your Araucauna soon.

Beautiful pictures of your chicks! Those look like my Brown Leghorns too! Are you sure they are Welsummers? My son would love your dog, Zeus. He's always wanting a Golden Retriever, but I hear they shed pretty badly and it's so darned hot here in Texas!

That JG looks like my Black Sex link.

and the Wellsummers look like brown leghorns to me also.

Beautiful birds... all of them!

Wish your dog were closer...we have a papered female retreiver and my DS#5 wants pups.

Quote:
About 15 weeks. I feel like my Ameraucana's always started laying at about this age, but everything I've read about these breeds makes me think they won't lay till much later(see some people talking about 30 weeks for their Jersey Giants).

Quote:
I have a ton more.......I really had to cut down, I figured you didn't need to see all 90 something pictures so far of them.

Quote:
I dunno, I find lost of pictures of birds that look like mine when I google image search "welsummers" and a few results for birds that look like mine when I google "brown leghorn".............anyone else want to chime in?

Quote:
In most light her eyes just look big and black, the brown that is there is very dark, so it blends to dark pretty well. How much of a Green Sheen does your Australorp have? My Giant has a nice green sheen that doesn't really show well in photos..........

I wonder what a hybrid would be like......Australorp egg production with Jersey Giant size? (we could hope, but you might get Australorp size with Giant egg production........surely someone out there has bred the two together?

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
I grew up in Weatherford with a golden, ya they shed, and ya you need to brush em if you wanna keep the hair output down, and yah ticks get on em......but they sure are great dogs!

Quote:
Well, he has his papers too and is a nice dark color, but its kinda moot now, I just had him fixed 2 weeks ago!

Ok, so prompted by your comments I went and looked into it some more, from all I can tell the coloring on welsummers and brown leghorns are nearly identical, but the leghorn is a smaller more slender bird, which I agree mine look more like.

How else to tell them apart?

Quote:
In most light her eyes just look big and black, the brown that is there is very dark, so it blends to dark pretty well. How much of a Green Sheen does your Australorp have? My Giant has a nice green sheen that doesn't really show well in photos..........

Betty has a lot of green when the sunlight hits her. She is so soft and smooth, she feels like silk. This photo is probably the best I have of her green sheen. You're right, it doesn't show in photos well at all.
2868092528_29c6d32ba2.jpg

Betty's eyes aren't as dark as they were when she was younger. They used to look black but now they're brown.

2867259245_e8497cf3f1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The pictures of your chicks are perfect examples of welsummer chicks. They can be reliably sexed at hatch. The wide V dark brown patch on the heads of pullets is quite obvious. They look exactly like mine do at hatch, and the pictures of them older look exactly like my Welsummers. Again beautiful birds. You will love the welsummers, fairly calm bird beautiful dark eggs.

Quote:

Betty has a lot of green when the sunlight hits her. She is so soft and smooth, she feels like silk. This photo is probably the best I have of her green sheen. You're right, it doesn't show in photos well at all. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/2868092528_29c6d32ba2.jpg?v=0

Betty's eyes aren't as dark as they were when she was younger. They used to look black but now they're brown.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/2867259245_e8497cf3f1.jpg?v=0

Wow she has really big brown parts of her eye, my girl has a very narrow band of brown - but it looks like the same color of eye.

My giant is very soft too - she is by far the softest of all of my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom