Mealworm farming

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hannakat, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    I am planning to use the sterilite 3 (or more, chicken math you know) drawer system. Do I still need to drill air holes in the sides of the drawers for more ventilation or is there enough already? I am so excited to get started.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got something like a sterlite - only a 4 drawer system. Based on the dust that had gently sifted in over the tops, just a bit, over the years, I opted not to drill, and the worms are doing fine!

3. onafixedincome

onafixedincome Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    And here I am again, with a couple more questions. [​IMG]

1) Has anyone else noticed that their pupae tend to wind up head-down in the substrate (I use whear bran) just before finishing as a beetle? Might consider that when moving pipae to other containers to minimize the 'OMG I'm a turtle, turn me OVER' issue. Mine won't grab paper to get up!

2) Can those who have beetle-stage colonies please post photos of their working bins? I'm trying to get a feel for density-for-success, as I have 240-some pupae and beetles showing up almost daily now. [​IMG]

Thanks to all--you rock!

4. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    I'm happy to report that I finally saw about 4 beetles yesterday in my pupa bin. Woohoo!

5. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    [​IMG] cool cool cool! I am so excited for you! Me too I want ssome too!

6. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    Quote:Way to go Becca [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The little monsters are on the increase!!

onafixedincome, I will try to post photos later today. i suppose that density could be a minor problem but not a big one. Two of my bins have a dense population and with the exception of a few canabalized pupea, no problems. The 3rd bin is just starting up so mostly beetles.

7. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:No, you don't need to drill additional holes. There is space between the drawers and there are no seals so it's fine.

Quote:Yea, they do the head-in-the-sand even when they are growing and shedding the exoskeleton. Don't know that there's an absolute perfect set up for success. Being insects, they will thrive in any container as long as they are dry and warm. I've actually gone to smaller containers for the beetles having the screen on the bottom for the eggs/wee wormies to fall through.

Check out the pictures on my mealworm page and Gallo's page. He's had success with a colony all in one 10 gal aquarium.

Glad you're having fun!

8. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:Let the 'tango' begin! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:Just curious....why do you want to separate them by size? They grow so quickly! And, as soon as they are full grown start pupating so it's either feed them to the chickadees, freeze them for future use, sell them or let 'em pupate!

oh gosh....need to get my daily mealie 'fix'.....must go play in the mealie farm!!!! bye!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  10. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    How many Mealworms do you think I would need to order for a good supply for 80 or so LF Birds?

Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by