Mealworm farming

Pics
Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Welcome to the farm!!!
yippiechickie.gif

(It's great that DH is involved!)

Last edited:
OK, I'm going to start mealie farming too! Trying to decide where to keep them so my gross out factor isn't at a high!
fl.gif
Hope this goes well!

Cathy

Quote:
Yey
yippiechickie.gif
another farmer! The
sickbyc.gif
factor decreases quickly and your chickens will LOVE you!

Let us know when you get your worms and what set up you go with!

Oh, definitely the ICK factor goes away quickly. I do not care so much to handle the beetles but am doing it. The mealies are just like caterpillars to me now. I do not mind them on my hands and the pupae are sorta cute.
gig.gif
They look like swaddled mealies, which I guess they are!

I still use a big tablespoon to transfer and pick up the pupae but only because my hands are better suited for skill saws and drills than tiny things that my big paws could squish. DD accidentally squished one and I haven't heard the end of it yet.

I want to welcome all the new Meal Worm farmers!
woot.gif
Please let us know what all you are using to get started or have been using and how they are coming along.

We need a meal worm song.....
thumbsup.gif

I'm so glad to see all the mealworm info.

I just started mine last week in an old plastic maxwell house coffee container with some slots in the lid and the 100 mealworms I got from the pet store. I just put a piece of fruit skin or vegetable peels for moisture along with the bran and some layer pellets (don't know if I should've used the pellets or not, but it's not critical) and leave it on the back patio. It'll be a while till ready to harvest many for the chickens but worth it if I don't have to spend the money on mealworms. I can't believe they are so expensive if it is so easy to farm them for yourself!

CaroleW
7 pullets, Mesa AZ

Last edited:
Well, I've joined the ranks of the mealie worm farmers!! I bought 100 worms from the pet shop last spring and put them in a smallish plastic container. Got discouraged when there iddn't seem to be much going on in the bin, so I ignored the bin. Then I began reading this thread and got excited again. Thanks all!! When I looked at the bin again, I had dead beetles and LOTS of worms. I began taking care of the bin again and now I have a new crop of pupea. Bought a bigger box for the worms and am using the smaller box for the pupea that I am sorting out. Anxiously waiting for my new crop of worms.

I have actually been able to feed my girls 2 modest portions of worms. I want to save most worms for the pupea and increase my worm population.
I'm hoping to have enough worms to get through next winter.

Thanks again for all your knowledge and encouragement. You made a difference even when you didn't realize it!!

I have actually cleared off the top of the drier...the laundry room is usually warmer than any other room in the house. Does anyone think having them on top of the drier is a no no? There is no windows in this little room as well, which helped me pick it. Ideas? Thanks!

Cathy

It is great to see so many new people here!
wee.gif

About putting the mealie bin on top of the drier, I would think as long as you give them plenty of fresh veggies then it should be okay. I always feel our laundry room is very dry but with wet clothes going in there should be some moisture in the air. The movement of the drier may make all the heavy stuff in the bin go to the bottom so keep a watch on that.

I can tell you all, I started with the 5000 and they are eating up a storm. Even though many have pupated and are turning into beetles I have to remember to check every day to make sure they have plenty of food. If I had fewer mealies I am sure it would not be as much work as I have made it for myself but I love the chicks getting excited when they see I have some.
This has been a fun project in the few weeks since I started. And the rewards are many!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom