Mealworm farming

Quick question for y'all!

I want to switch my small colony of wormies (or beetles, right now) to the three drawer method. I saw that someone was saying to use 1/8" hardware cloth, but someone else used screening. Will the eggs fall through the screen? I am having trouble finding the 1/8" hardware cloth, but have some extra screening, so I want to know if that will work... Thanks!

ETA: I also want to know how you cut the bottom out of those tough plastic bins! I tried using a serrated steak knife (haha) but it didn't do anything. How did you all do it??

Edited again: I went out and measured to see how big the screening holes were. They are 1/16"... Half of the 1/8" Hardware cloth. What do y'all think?

I'm using the three bin method. Or I will be shortly. So I'll let you know in a little while if it is worth all the effort.

I cut the bottom out with a sharp blade on a utility knife. Once I scored it several times I could push the plastic and it broke enough to move it out. I did crack the plastic a little at one point, but I also covered that area with tape as well as taped the edges after I hot glued down the window screening. I'll have to see how it goes. I get my mealies on Wednesday. Yeah!

Oh and be very careful. I cut my finger with the knife and stabbed my stomach as well. Thankfully both were superficial wounds. And I got a cut from the plastic on my knuckle pushing it through to break it off. Hope my chicks appreciate all the blood loss :)

Last edited:
I use screen on one bin.

Someone made the comment that the 3 bin method cut down on the work. They wouldn't/didn't have to pick through the worms.... you do. The worms will turn to pupae and you either leave them or pick them out. I do find the all in one system to work just fine. Everyone lives together great.

I only have one large bin that has beetles and pupae on top and some worms (soon to morph) and the eggs and babies will fall and I will use them to make or add to other bins. Just my two cents. Nothing is easy.... just easier.

Answer to ? #1= yes, regular window screen, it's what I used and the eggs do fall thru. You think they don't 'cause you can't see them and then a few weeks later you have baby worms squiggling all around!
??#2 - Don't know!

Back
Top Bottom