Mealworm farming

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

I had a container of frass sitting around for months, kept seeing shed skins on the top, but never took the time to recheck them. NEVER FEED THEM.... like you said, nothing was dead in there either. I finally sifted out the bigger worms and beetles and put that frass (since it could have eggs) in with my other batch of frass to grow. Maybe in a couple of more months I can put this stuff in the garden.

Maybe we do tend to them too much. I have a brooder box that had guinea in it and I feed them some mealies too.... maybe I have another colony and don't know it.
cool.png

Yeah!
wee.gif

The 2nd generation of mealies is here! I was cleaning out the old carrots that the beetles have been eating and I set the carrots on top of the white cabinet. When I went to pick them up to toss I noticed little lines - moving! They were tiny little worms no bigger then 1/8" and too skinny to notice easily and they were crawling around. If they hadn't been on the white background I don't think I would have seen them. I can't see them in the wheat bran.

So how long before those microscopic worms become BIG worms? Should I try to move all the beetles into one bin so they won't eat all my worms or are the worms safe in there?

Yeah!
wee.gif

The 2nd generation of mealies is here! I was cleaning out the old carrots that the beetles have been eating and I set the carrots on top of the white cabinet. When I went to pick them up to toss I noticed little lines - moving! They were tiny little worms no bigger then 1/8" and too skinny to notice easily and they were crawling around. If they hadn't been on the white background I don't think I would have seen them. I can't see them in the wheat bran.

So how long before those microscopic worms become BIG worms? Should I try to move all the beetles into one bin so they won't eat all my worms or are the worms safe in there?

As long as there is food I think the worms are fine. Congrats!

Wow.... So I've had this backwards this whole time???? I've been raising mealworms for chickens but I was suppose to be raising chickens for my mealworms?!
gig.gif

Wow.... So I've had this backwards this whole time???? I've been raising mealworms for chickens but I was suppose to be raising chickens for my mealworms?!
gig.gif

gig.gif
lol.png
lau.gif
tongue2.gif

How do you think they got the worms so big for the movie "Tremors"? It got the point where we had to feed them ponies.
lau.gif
We were going to feed them elephants until that one choked to death.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom