Mealworm farming

I read somewhere.... that Gamebird crumbles could be used. My local farm store has this product which they say is similar to chick starter in form....
I'm a new learner when it comes to different types of poultry feed. I made a mistake buying crumbles for meat birds ($25 for 20kg bag) with 20% protein, in an attempt to raise the protein content of my layers feed by mixing 15% protein layers pellets with the higher protein feed. An astute person pointed out that the meat bird crumbles which are also used for younger chickens that aren't yet laying has medicine for coccidiosis added, and the eggs can't be eaten while layers are eating it, or for two weeks after stopping the feed.

So the only thing I'd be watching for is whether the crumbles have medicine added. If so, it's possible the mealworms will carry that through the food chain, making the eggs from the chickens 'not suitable for human consumption' as it says on my bag of crumbles. It pays to read the feed bags thoroughly before buying.

Quote:
Actually, what they put in the feed called medicated is just a growth inhibitor for the coccidiosis. I do not feed medicated food or any commercial food but this isn't something that needs egg withdrawal time. It does not affect the eggs. It simply keeps the cocci from developing. Extra Vit E also helps to keep cocci from developing well in youngsters.

Actually, what they put in the feed called medicated is just a growth inhibitor for the coccidiosis. I do not feed medicated food or any commercial food but this isn't something that needs egg withdrawal time. It does not affect the eggs. It simply keeps the cocci from developing. Extra Vit E also helps to keep cocci from developing well in youngsters.

Well no, if you googlesearch Lasalocid Sodium, it is an ionophone antibiotic which can be fatal to some animals and with definite withholding periods for eggs. It shouldn't be fed to layers at all. This is the warning from an Australian poultry feed containing it -

WARNINGS
Lasalocid sodium:

This feed contains Lasalocid sodium for the prevention of coccidiosis caused by Eimeria species.
Do not feed to hens producing fertile eggs or gamebirds other than turkeys.
Do not feed to horses or other equids as it may be fatal.
Withholding periods:
Meat: Replacement pullets 14 days
Turkeys 3 days
Broilers nil
Eggs: 14 days

Ionophores can be seriously nasty in rabbits; even a very small amount can cause heart failure and death. :( I don't know what it might do in humans in a higher dosage...have to check the Material Data Safety Sheet on the stuff.

The idea of a coccidioSTAT is that it delays development of the parasite, and by so doing, it decreases the amount present in body and environment. Coccidiostats in general, at a different dose rate, may become coccidoCIDES, which actually kill the parasites outright, and sometimes, that can be a fine line.

Always read your labels and do your homework--I suspect that some drugs which are added to things like chick starter could be toxic to your mealies, as well as potentially carrying on drugs which could accumulate and require withdrawal time before eggs and meat can be used.

Oh and check your area health food stores and places with bulk food items for wheat bran. Some get it in in 50 lb bags and can order you what you need.

Last edited:
Most medicated feed here has Amprolium. I have never heard of that other.... I have not researched it, but I know it is almost impossible to OVER MEDICATED them with that med. There are no ill side effects even at 5x's the dose.
Amprolium still has a withholding period on eggs, at least when using this product Coxiprol. I don't know, maybe in the US your dosage rate keeps the residue levels lower, or maybe your allowable residue levels for human consumption are higher than elsewhere? This is from a New Zealand website data sheet -

COXIPROL
Contains: 12% Amprolium
Description: A solution of Amprolium
Indications: To prevent and treat outbreaks of coccidiosis in layers, broilers, turkeys and pigeons.
Mode of Action: Amprolium acts by disrupting normal cell function.

Withholding period: Animals producing meat and offal for human consumption must not be slaughtered during or within five days of last treatment.
Eggs intended for human consumption must be discarded during treatment and within 10 days of last treatment.

www.chookmanor.co.nz/stock-pdf.asp?ID=69

It's a real worry that a search of Amprolium on this forum has so many people saying it's fine and don't worry about a withholding period for it. There are worldwide warnings about Amprolium. I wont post more about it but here's another example, from the Netherlands -

http://www.interchemie.com/veterinary-products/coccidiostatics/amprolin-300-ws.html
"Do not administer to poultry whose eggs are intended for human consumption."

Quote: Most medicated feed here has Amprolium. I have never heard of that other.... I have not researched it, but I know it is almost impossible to OVER MEDICATED them with that med. There are no ill side effects even at 5x's the dose.
Yes, there is no with holding for eggs with Amprolium from the state vet I have talked with here. That is the medicated feed I was referring to. That is what is in the local feeds here.

It's a real worry that a search of Amprolium on this forum has so many people saying it's fine and don't worry about a withholding period for it. There are worldwide warnings about Amprolium. I wont post more about it but here's another example, from the Netherlands -

http://www.interchemie.com/veterinary-products/coccidiostatics/amprolin-300-ws.html
"Do not administer to poultry whose eggs are intended for human consumption."

Amprolium - The drug is a thiamine analogue and blocks the thiamine transporter of Eimeria species. By blocking thiamine uptake it prevents carbohydrate synthesis.
It is an analog of Vitamin B1, and works by preventing the uptake of thiamine (B1) by the organism which causes coccidiosis. Amprolium makes the creature's body an environment hostile to the development of coccidiosis, without actually attacking the coccidiosis organism.

I personally never use the medicated feeds as we have a local feed mill but so many around here do use it for their starter and layer birds. They also feed it to their broilers and slaughter them for their consumption after they have been eating it all their lives.

Back
Top Bottom