Mealworm farming

How old are the beetles, thay may be part of it too. They start dying off around 6 months old. If they all died around the same time that could be a big food source for a short time for the mealies.
Well they aren't that old. I just started the whole colony in January I think. It is relatively cool where they are but it is the warmest place in my house. I started it in January figuring they grow and mature much slower in the cooler temps. The beetles really started coming out in the last couple of weeks. Many are still brown.

LATCH ON TO MY FINGER!!!! AHHHHHh I am hoping my finger doesn't get THAT close! I hate to say it but I use a rubber gardening gloves when I do anything with them.....
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
The good news, they don't bite! Its just creepy if they crawl on you.
hide.gif
I get the heeby jeebies over roaches. Seen some when I cleaned apartments before they were rented out years ago, ewww
sickbyc.gif
The scratching sound the beetles make remind me of them. I did not last long in that job BTW
lau.gif
try going a week, don't add any food into the bins. They will be fine. Less moisture is way better than mites.

Ali707,

Mine aren't eating now either. I think they must slow down when they start pupating. This is the stage my colony is in and they were all started at the same time. I have been getting pupa since 03/21/13 and there are still lots (more than 2/3) left to pupate. They seem to be moving much slower too, so I think its just the life stage they are in.

When I thought I had mites in my bin, I took all sources of moisture out of the bin for 5 days and when I put food back in they became very active and ate ravenously, actually rolling in the bin. So bottom line, they will be ok. It seems its good to let them go without moisture source for a couple days here and there to cut down on mold and keep them eating well.

I am cleaning out my mealworm tank some. Taking out dead ones & empty shells & all dried out food. It wont be 2 wks til thurs. I HAVE BEATLES & the before beatle stage YAAA!. I forgot, how long should I let them multiply before I start feeding some? Thank you everyone for your experience & information. I am having so much fun with my Chickens.

I am cleaning out my mealworm tank some. Taking out dead ones & empty shells & all dried out food. It wont be 2 wks til thurs. I HAVE BEATLES & the before beatle stage YAAA!. I forgot, how long should I let them multiply before I start feeding some? Thank you everyone for your experience & information. I am having so much fun with my Chickens.

I am not sure where you are, its spring here so I will only be using mealies for younger chicks.
The adult birds get free range daily so they don't need mealies right now.
If you free range, I would let your mealies grow up as much as possible to prepare for winter. (If you have winter there)
How many chickens do you have? Wonderful news on the beatles!!
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom