Mealworm farming

Today I found this weird… thing. I can't decide if it's a pupa or if it's still a larva. Has anybody had this problem before? It's kind of a combination of the two, and I'm confused. I've separated it into his own container so I can see if it's still a worm or if it turns into a beetle.

Today I found this weird… thing. I can't decide if it's a pupa or if it's still a larva. Has anybody had this problem before? It's kind of a combination of the two, and I'm confused. I've separated it into his own container so I can see if it's still a worm or if it turns into a beetle.

A few posts back I posted something similiar. Looks like a pupa thats shedding skin..thats what I was told if I remember correctly. I got hundreds of them. Guess Im gonna be overrun with beetles soon :)

A few posts back I posted something similiar.   Looks like a pupa thats shedding skin..thats what I was told if I remember correctly.   I got hundreds of them.  Guess Im gonna be overrun with beetles soon   :)

Lol I'm the one who responded to you Eddie. This little guy just doesn't look how I remember them looking, and I've only had my setup since Saturday evening. I think yours look more like pupa than whatever that thing is. How big are your worms getting before they pupate? I have several that are huge, I'm afraid they may have given me some of those super worms by mistake.

Quote: Super worms will not pupate around other worms they have to be by themselves and stressed out before they will pupuate. Sometimes I get something like that if they are smaller then usual. How high is the temperature? If they are pupuating to fast it might cause them not to be so big

I've had my mw's at least 2 wks and I still don't have any pupae. They are lively, and eating. They've shed skin. Anyone tell me when I can expect pupae? The temp is about 75. Maybe I'm to impatient.
smile.png
Now that I think about it, did I read it takes about 2 months from worm to pupae?
It does take awhile. I have read that if you increase the temp it speeds up the life cycle. I have noticed since the temp outside is increasing that my wormies are getting bigger faster and the pupae are starting to lie on top of the substrate. Just keep 'em fed and warm and one day a little white, waxy pupae will be laying there and make your day!
smile.png

I ave read that you take them out and isolate them in a compartment of one of those tackle boxes with all the little square compartments. I am just starting with mealworms. I heard super worms are harder to raise.

Here is what I'm trying with the superbugs per acreed's advice. We will see if it works. If not, I plan to order regular meal worms anyway.
What are superbugs anyway??

I didn't have any extra tackle boxes but I did have a ton of Scenty boxes in my recycle/craft bin. I think they did the trick! I poked holes in the top.

I put 6 superworms in the fridge for a bit to calm them down.

Back
Top Bottom