Mealworm farming

Here it is. Sorry about the poor lighting. The holes for the strainer portion are about twice the size of your avg window screen I would guesstimate . . . Family Farm and Home has another all metal strainer that has slightly larger screening. It is intended for deep frying, I think.

This one I can lay across the tub because of the little metal extensions. I use an old butter or sour cream tub to fill it up part way and then I just gently shake it until all of the bran falls through. Any mealies (bigger than a micro), pupa or beetles, old bits of veggies, and skins left over from molting are the only things left in the bowl of the strainer . . .

I've reached a new level of obsession... One of my little publes (Pupa/beetles) has been trying to shed it's pupa skin for two days now. It has a little bit of larva skin still around it's head and it's legs were stuck inside. It's been struggling so long I was afraid it was exhaust itself and died. I helped it free two of it's legs and I'm hoping now it can get the rest of himself free. I feel like the biggest idiot ever trying to help a puble become a beetle.

I've reached a new level of obsession... One of my little publes (Pupa/beetles) has been trying to shed it's pupa skin for two days now. It has a little bit of larva skin still around it's head and it's legs were stuck inside. It's been struggling so long I was afraid it was exhaust itself and died. I helped it free two of it's legs and I'm hoping now it can get the rest of himself free. I feel like the biggest idiot ever trying to help a puble become a beetle.
yep sounds like you are obsessed!
clap.gif
You must be a chicken lover!

Have considered raising mealworms but from what I've read about the potential for respiratory problems I'm just not willing to take the chance. Perhaps this has already been mentioned and discussed but I chose not to read through all 592 pages of comments.
I’d be happy to get some pointers on building an earthworm bed. My flock free-ranges most of the time but not so much in winter.

Have considered raising mealworms but from what I've read about the potential for respiratory problems I'm just not willing to take the chance. Perhaps this has already been mentioned and discussed but I chose not to read through all 592 pages of comments.
I’d be happy to get some pointers on building an earthworm bed. My flock free-ranges most of the time but not so much in winter.
I've had worm compost beds in the past and the worms breed quite well in them, you can have them indoors but it's easy to get unwelcomed pest insects so if you have a place outdoors or in a garage or such, it's just as well. To be honest though, if you just set up a regular compost bin and allow you chickens to access it, they'll likely get just as many worms. Added benefit of accelerated composting because the chickens are amazing at assisting with compost bins; and you'll get to feed your flower and vegetable gardens for free.

Some of the pupae do not form into full beetles. They seem to do as you described, but part of the body seems to stay in pupae form. Once when I was sorting the new beetles out odf the pupae bin, I saw one that seemed to be struggling to molt for a few days. I figured I'd just toss it in with the beetels and that it was just slow like some of those ones that lie on their backs and can't seem to flip over. I put it in the beetle bin and they swarmed it and ate it alive. I guess they recognized the deformity and cannacalized it. I felt kinda bad
hu.gif

I'm seeing more and more stories of mites. Got my fingers crossed that they dont visit me. My colonies are indoors. Temperature in the house is around 79 ( it'd be 75 if the wife would allow it
smile.png
). I do however set an electric blanket over the larva every chance I get. Humidity never go over 50 so far. Hope those conditions are NON mitey likey.
lau.gif

Eddie

Back
Top Bottom