Mealworm farming

LOL, I know what you mean, but mine aren't very active. I am going to check on them this morning and decide where to put them.
Well, keep us posted because mine are starting to slow down and I'm not sure if it's time to pupate or they're too cold :)

I just got mine about 5 days ago. I may get them a heating pad bc we keep our house @ 72 during the day and 69 at night. It's hot here in Texas! I think 98 outside is too hot for them. What do y'all think?
We've had some days up to 95 here so far since I've had my colony and everybody is doing well. I do have them on the back porch which has a roof so they are under shade.

Quote:
It's 107 at the moment and mine are doing fine outside (I make sure they have fresh vegetables). I should note that with our low humidity, it only feels 102!
lol.png

Last edited:
I've never had the mites transfer, but just in case, you can freeze any mealworms you want to feed your birds. I would leave them in the freezer for 48 hours. That should kill any mites on the mealworms, and your chickens should still eat dead mealworms.

I've never had the mites transfer, but just in case, you can freeze any mealworms you want to feed your birds. I would leave them in the freezer for 48 hours. That should kill any mites on the mealworms, and your chickens should still eat dead mealworms.

Well I stupidly had the Meal worm tank in the chickens roost, then found the mites.
So just want to know if they will transfer over.

The grain mites that sometimes infect mealworm colonies are different from the mites that cause chickens trouble. While harmless to chickens, grain mites will get into your chicken feed and cause trouble there.

The grain mites that sometimes infect mealworm colonies are different from the mites that cause chickens trouble. While harmless to chickens, grain mites will get into your chicken feed and cause trouble there.

O.K, pheww! You are a lifesaver.
Now...how do I get rid of the buggers? I only have a few at the moment, not a whole mass of white just yet.
I thought I would just put DE on the tank but then wouldn't that kill my worms as well?

Back
Top Bottom