Mealworm farming

Latestarter makes very good points in his post above! Tho I found that the smaller larvae will burrow deeply right into the sponge, so put it in a little cup of some sort, take out condiment containers work well keeping the top edge well away form the surface of the bedding.

lau.gif
tongue2.gif
That's exactly what I meant when I said I had no idea how many "eggs" I washed down the drain when rinsing/re-filling the sponge... those buggers burrow right down inside and eat it as they go. I would find beetles burrowed into it as well, some so deep they couldn't even move! Typically I bang the dry sponge against my hand or side of the container to try and knock as many out/off as I can before taking it to the sink.

Another thing that I've found/noticed is that when those critters pile up, they generate quite a bit of heat themselves! Stick your hand down into the substrate under or where there's a pile of them. it gets QUITE warm. I'm sure that also adds to the problem of keeping any moisture, aside from the external heat evaporating it away.

I live in the low desert of AZ, where it is bone dry; humidity levels are usually measured in single digits. If we're very lucky, we'll get 9 inches of rain this year. The key to maintaining a healthy colony in hot dry climates is to provide consistent access to vegetables. For me, this typically involves feeding vegetable matter every other day. The higher temperatures are a plus for colony growth provided they are maintained correctly. I keep mine outside for most of the year and with temps up to 115 degrees, they grow and cycle through their stages at phenomenal rates. The larvae are highly resistant to desiccation. In fact, they have a specialized organ that draws moisture directly from the air so they are physically able to go for much longer periods without access to moisture. Lack of moisture will limit performance of pupae and beetles though. It's critical that moist vegetables are present when there are numbers of pupae and beetles in the colony. I'm much more vigilant about adding vegetables during the hot parts of the year than I am during the cooler times.

It's true that moisture is the key to colony success or failure. With too much moisture you create conditions favorable to a host of pathogens and invaders that will lower colony productivity. With too little moisture the pupal and beetle stages will not perform as well and colony productivity will suffer. The trick is to find the happy medium, solved by the consistent availability of vegetables.

I am going to try to cover the tank to block some of the light and try the wet sponge. My husband is not happy about me bringing them inside. Maybe if this doesn't help I can talk him into putting them into the laundry room.

I agree with Gallo del Cielo. I live in hot dry climate (So Cal) as well, and never add any moisture source other than fruit/veggie a couple times a week (during summer). I slice fruit/veggie and give amount proportional to number or worms such that it is eaten within a couple days and doesn't mold. I'd be careful about adding too much moisture as you may run into problems with mold.

Quote:
I am that woman he mentions, but guess what?? I LIED!! I don't have mealworms....I have Black Soldier Fly larvae by the hundreds! I don't know what happened to my mealworms, but hey, it's all good! The chickens love the BSF's larvae just as well. I have lots of beetles but no baby mealworms. The BSFs all hang in one end where the sponge is and eat it up. They apparently need a lot of moisture. The BSF's are self harvesting as you put a ramp at a 45 degree angle and a cup or bowl under it and they walk up the ramp and fall into the bowl when they are ready to turn into flys. Then feed. : )

I think I am missing something - my worms are healthy and active, the beetles are emerging, but neither is eatng any vegetables. Are they just eating the bran? By the way, watching the first beetle emerge is almost as exciting as finding that first egg!

I think I am missing something - my worms are healthy and active, the beetles are emerging, but neither is eatng any vegetables. Are they just eating the bran? By the way, watching the first beetle emerge is almost as exciting as finding that first egg!

You may have enough humidity in the bran right now. But check the bottom of the vegetables. Often you will find the worms eating the underside. Especially if its baby worms.

Thanks, evemfoster, I'll check the carrots. It's very humid here right now, in the 80% to 90%, and I have them in the bathroom. I guess there's enough moisture
tongue.png

You can get rid of the moths by freezing the bran before you add it. Freeze it for at least 24 hours. This works for anything in your kitchen too. But it doesn't get rid of the parasites. I don't remember what they are called, but you can see them on the beetles if you look really close.

Back
Top Bottom