Mealworm farming

Frazers Farm, you've kept a good thread going with your questions, which has brought up some interesting suggestions and challenges. Mine are in the bathroom which will be warmer in the winter than the rest of the house, I "de-frass" outside, it's plenty humid in Central PA, and usually I am not bothered by allergies. So, I am looking forward to having enough to feed the ladies over the winter when grasshoppers and crickets are not around. I bought 50 at a time at the local pet store with a total of 200. I might be a bit naive about timing for the winter, but I'm having fun in the meantime. I wish you well and keep those questions and concerns coming!

To me, a 'real' mask is one that fits tightly around the edges. I have something like this one for when working with cement and silicone molding caulk. It has a soft silicone fit around the edge that seals completely on my small face and replaceable particulate/carbon cartridges for both dust and toxic fumes.

Thanks. Haven't seen too much written about this risk yet, so going to do some research and see what I can find.

About how long did it take for you to start developing the allergies?

(Page 313 and counting)...

I've heard tons o people complain about allergies. Before I started wearing mask I noticef y lungs n nose burned a little after handling worms. Now no probs with mask from Lowes

I have been farming them for nearly two years now, and am getting out of it. I have developed SEVERE allergies, so I am calling it quits and selling out. I hate to let it go, but my health is far more important.

To all of the new kids on the farm lately... PLEASE wear a REAL mask.

Quote: Maybe @Dipstick could explain more about his allergy symptoms / prognosis / avoidance techniques?

Wohoo, expecting my worm on Wednesday! Wednesday is my next day off work so will have to get a bin and bran while I am in town. This will also be the trip where I pick up by worms from the post office :)

Check your mail everyday. The only time i bought worms on the net i had put a 'hold at the post office' on the package because it was so hot and i have a black mailbox.

Well they came 2 days early and i just happened to be home because there was a power outage. I had already picked up the mail but went down the hill to check the power line repairs and found that instead of holding the package the post office they had made a special delivery because the box was labeled live animals. They would have cooked if i hadn't had to drive all the way down the hill to turn the car around.

Oh the driveway is 1/4 mile long. So i drive to avoid the 100+ degree heat and the four pawed wildlife.

OK, ALWAYS wear a mask. I have discovered that if I even walk into the building where they are I begin sneezing uncontrollably, and then my lungs seize... and the masks must be able to filter microscopic powders.

They go right through the painter's masks... which is what got me into trouble. Though the thicker multilayered versions are somewhat effective... they are not perfect either.

And doing them in the house is fine as long as you have a constantly circulating air filtration system on in their room.

As for temps, if YOU are not comfortable in the temps, they are not comfortable in the temps... never forget that.

Maybe @Dipstick could explain more about his allergy symptoms / prognosis / avoidance techniques?
I was good without a mask for weeks, actually for a few months, working in a cloud of frass as we have had tens of thousands or substantially more for over a year now, probably as many as 400k worms and 30k beetles at the high point of production. I noticed tightening of the chest when breathing which was similar to just being in too dusty an environment... then the sneezing began... then things just went downhill from there rapidly to the point that I have been spending at least two days in bed per week as a result of the combination of the allergies and the high doses of medication which I need to prevent serious resperatory sicknesses.

After 6 months of that, the worms are going.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom