Mealworm Shortage

Hi Penny,

i think i'll do the same thing, hold back some worms then try to start a colony. If they can do it in one box, i can handle that.

i have had it happen that some of the mealworms get away from the chickens and end up under things in the coop. Weeks later i lift up a paver and there are a bunch of black beetles. Actually, the chickens like to eat those, too.

Colleen

There is no need to seperate the beetles from the worms, so long as you are watering them with the potatoes. When the beetles die, the baby worms will actually eat the shells of the dead beetles. If you keep your colony clean, that is a wonderful way to recycle protein. The mealworms also love bits of cooked chicken, cooked rabbit, greens, and many types of veggies (small pieces or slices, and not more than they can consume in one night). Mine get the leftover glider food in the mornings.

Quote:
Thank you! That's exactly what I was hoping. I should have mine by the end of the week. One more question - are those beetles going to fly around or try to escape? I would think (*hope*) that with a readily available food source, they would stay put. I made the container yesterday - a plastic tub with the lid. I drilled 1 inch holes all over the top of the lid, and then super glued a fine mesh screen over it to keep the beetles in and other critters out. Will they fly around when I reach in there to remove the worms?

Thanks,
Penny

when we took our chicken coop apart to move it, the people who used it before us had fed their chickens mealworms. Under the wall framing and in every nook and cranny those little worms multiplied like none other!!! There were thousands of them!!!

Quote:
Woo hoo! That's great news. I wasn't sure what to expect. Thanks for all the info. I'll get started as soon as those little worms arrive at the end of the week.

Penny

Got my superworms from flukers yesterday. Wow, these guys are huge! Got a bin set up. Emily, tell me if i did this right. i put baby oatmeal and baby cereal, then slices of potato in a rubbermaid bin. Picture is below.

wormbin.jpg

I don't recommend trying to raise superworms. They get too labor involved for me, plus their growth can't be stunted by sticking them in the fridge (cooling them will kill them). The instructions I gave were for mealworms, which are a different species than superworms. The bedding and potatoes though are the same for both, but don't expect the superworms to turn into beetles without help. I'll see if I can find the link to raising superworms. For those who cannot get mealworms, try looking for local reptile owners. Many of them raise mealworms, and may be willing to help you get started (or supply you with worms on a regular basis).

Emily in NC

PS - if you have waxworms, keep them in the fridge! They turn into nasty little moths if you keep them at room temp. They can be bred and raised, but it's hard to keep them all in a container.

Ok, this is from an article online:

use a plastic tray that is divided into small sections, like those used to store fishing lures or nuts and bolts. Place one worm in each compartment, drill some small ventilations holes, add oatmeal and carrot, and place the whole box in a warm dark area. At a temperature of 80 degrees, the larvae will pupate and emerge as adult beetles in about 2 weeks.

The adult beetles can be placed in a large plastic sweater box that has been lined with a one inch layer of oatmeal and pieces of carrot, apple and potato for food. A few pieces of rotted wood should also be placed inside the cage. The wood should be lightly misted to keep it damp. Do not mist the oatmeal or it will begin to produce mold and fungus. No water dish is necessary.

The adult beetles will breed and lay their eggs in cracks in the rotted wood. After about four weeks, the eggs will have produced tiny superworm larvae. These grow rather slowly, but reach sizes suitable for pupation in about six weeks. Place the fullgrown superworms into a pupation chamber to begin the process again.

Hope this helps,
Emily in NC

PS - The website I got this info from is http://www.geocities.com/lflank/raisingfood.html and they do have info on raising other types of prey insects.

Back
Top Bottom