Mealworms, and other treats

amartinlb

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Jersey Shore
I have 14 chicks, 9 of which have a decent amount of feathers and I believe are between 3-4weeks old. The others are 1-2 weeks old judging by their size but already have a couple feathers as well.

I wanted to start hand feeding treats once or twice weekly to help them associate me with food and was wondering if it would be safe to feed live mealworms (ones sold for reptile or fish bait) or even freeze-dried shrimps, worms, etc or if I should wait a little while.

And with rice, are they old enough to have some rice once in a while too?

Oh and in general, what are good ages and to feed treats and how frequently?

~Ed

What I was told is if the chicks are eating grit or shell they can eat mealworms. Ive been feeding mine for a couple of weeks and they are 13 weeks old now. They will go crazy for mealworms. All my chooks follow me around now. Always feed in moderation. Too many treats can give dirra

Has anyone else heard the same thing, to wait on the meal worms until they are old enough to eat some grit?

And what about rice, veggies, freeze-dried shrimps (I have freeze-dried E. pacifica plankton that are about 1" that I feed to my African Cichlid fish, they are very rich in color enhancers for fish and Omega Fatty Acids and are harvested from the wild so they should be safe), freeze-dried worms (fish food as well), etc?

Anna

Making sure they're getting grit is very important, unless all their treats are going to be pureed. If you're giving grit, I would just make sure that what you give them is sized for their small bodies. Anything that you can mince or grind for them, to make it easier to digest, would be great, while they're still little babies. As they get older, they get larger and their crops get stronger.

I wouldn't give much rice, as it's just another grain. I'd focus on giving them more nutrient dense foods, that will give them what their chick starter is lacking.

I think non-vegetable protein of any kind is a good addition. Insects, larva, worms, meat, eggs. I'm not sure what the salt content of dried plankton is. Other than that issue, it would be a good food.

Any dark leafy greens or orange vegetables are good. I also give a little hulled sunflower seed that's been minced.
When I give supplemental food like this, I give small portions that are appropriate for their size and try not to unbalance their diet by giving too mush protein or too much carbohydrate. Just think about what a healthy meal is for people. Even if you don't eat that way yourself.
wink.png

So for all the treats wait until they are eating grit?

And what about the freeze-dried shrimps? They are only about 1" long or so and crumble very easily. Should I wait with that as well?

Anna

Back
Top Bottom