1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mealworms and "scratch grains"?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Juniper148, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Juniper148

Juniper148 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Iowa
    I hear lots of talk about mealworms and scratch and also see it sold next to other general chicken supplies at the feed stores. For starters, what exactly is "scratch"? Is mealworms and/or scratch imperative to a laying chicken's diet? Is it just a treat? If it's just a treat, is there a reason to buy them instead of using veggie scraps? Thanks for any help on clarifying this, obviously a newbie here!

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Scratch is a treat. It does have beneficial seed not just corn. I feed it in the run to give everyone something to do. Veggies and things like that is for the same purpose. Mealworms are a high protein snack for them as well. These are not food like egg layer for hens. Scratch is ehat I feed my single roo in a pen.

3. zuluchicken

zuluchicken Out Of The Brooder

Scratch is a treat. I give my chickens a mix of crushed corn, wheat, sunflower, barley and sorghum about 2 times per week as well as the odd cricket and meal worm when I have some. I also allow them out of the coop at least 3 x per week to go and scratch in the garden getting some insects and green stuff.

No complaints so far!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by