mealworms ?????

farrier!

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Southern Illinois
Years ago I had a lizard we fed mealworms to, maybe 40+ years ago.....
sad.png

I was intrigued by the poster who was feeing mealworms to her chicks. I would like to "raise" mealworms too.
I do not remember a thing about them!
What do you feed them and do you need to buy some to start with? Where can you find some?

By the way sticky keys and dyslexic and no coffee does not work!

much to my disgust my husband is "raising" them right now ..I guess... he went to the pet store and bought some giant mealworms... then spread about in inch or more of really cheap crappy oatmeal and put part of a potato in dumped the meal worms in there and he is waiting for them to turn into beatles and then more mealworms

it is like watching a horror movie when I open the container for a morbid look ..oats are writhing

not sure how this will go but that is where we are now!

you are right it will be fun to feed them to the chickens!!! then they will no longer be on the table where I feel compelled to lift the lid and see them

and get completely grossed out

my husband says it is his "job" to torment me!

Oh my word I didnt realize you could grow meal worms! My girls have always loved them! Wait until I tell my hubby, I bet he'll have his little meal worm farm before the weekend is over!
lol.png

Quote:
If by giant mealworms, you are talking of superworms, they will not breed. They are sterile. They spray regular mealworms with a growth hormone, which makes them grow large, yet it also sterilizes them, so they cannot breed.

Skand ,is right the giant worms will not reproduce they are sterile.
to start mealworms get you a couple of the sweat type plastic boxs the big flat ones,cover the bottom of the tubes about 2" deep in chicken crumbles.order you a start of say 200 worms however many you want to start put them in on top of the crumbles,when you peel potatoes ,have old lettucas ,tomatoe end peaces anything like that gotten kind old you don't want it slice it and lay it right on top of the crumbles, and the worms will comeup and feed on this stuff,once you set up the bed with worms and food take wet news paper and cover the entire surface on the crumbs ,mist the paer every coupl days and wait till your worm make bettles ,little black ones they lay more eggs then they die ,the egg hatch and new worms all the time the will XXX in number in about a month,just try and keep the new paper damp,and you will have to devided the bed into more tubs before you know it and the chickens will thank your the greaest thing in the world when you bring out fresh worm they are so happy and go nuts for them.need anymore help PM me or just ask

Back
Top Bottom