mealworms

I have found out that freeze dried mealworms are an addiction for chickens! My 3 know where I keep them and when they see me walk that way, they are on my like a junkie on their dealer! Like potato chips, they can't have just 1. I use them to get them back in their run. Good luck.

Quote:
Based on wonderful advice from so many of you I have purchased 100 meal worms. Fed a bunch to the girls and have some in a container with chicken mash and boiled potato. The worms seem to be happy but have yet to see any beetles. I am hoping I can get enough to supply my 3 RIR's through the winter months.

I went to get meal worms yersterday. The salesman asked me what in the world do I do with those things. I told him I train chickens. These little things are the treats. I told him I had them lined up like a mule team pulling a plow. They stay in line for the meal worms. He said, oh, Ok. I have to remember that.
big_smile.png

you know what, it may be a treat now but what about your winter. Make sure you give them as a staple then since scratching isn't the best for protein then.
Heavy snow here this winter makes me think I have to hoard greens for mine too now. I have dug up worms for them from the earth free and pure. The three of them could eat a half cup at a time if I let them. Hard work though. Interesting to watch them if you hold up a hard lump how fast and easy they spot and pull those things. Alot easier than me picking them out thankfully. They clamber on top of my shovel before I can turn the earth over.
At five to six months they would not even eat a worm. haha My birds are still gaining wait too so I guess they are eating well.
Glad we are having this conversation. Keeps us keen.

I am new to chickens & have two lovely young girls, Thelma & Louise. I recently discovered they are crazy about dried mealworms but I'd like to know how many they can have. I don't want to make them ill... as in if I ate candy 10 times a day!

Just give them a couple tablespoons or less. What you want to avoid is having them pass up their food for the treats. Treats should generally be 10% or less of their total daily intake and hens eat an average of 1 cup of food a day.

Back
Top Bottom