Mean chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smokeyodie97, Mar 30, 2011.

1. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    I have 4 chicks and one is mean to the rest he's about 2-3 days old . What is it's problem?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    When you say that the chick is "mean", what is the behavior?

3. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    He/she pecks the others

4. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    give them something to do.......... put grit in their cage, or fresh soft green lawn grass (as long as theres no pesticides or anything on it)

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

How big is the brooder?

6. chiefsfan36

chiefsfan36 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    chick sounds bored - we have different size roosts for them to jump through and under - no feather picking or anything like that..

7. Loghousemom

Loghousemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    What are you using as roosts? I thought they didn't need them till they are out in the coop? I have a Cochin that seems to be picking on a few of the others. I have 5 total in a 30x36 box for a brooder. I did add some grit yesterday and they seemed to enjoy that, though today "she" is still picking on the rest. I had the ones being picked on separate, but they all seem to do fine together except that one so now I separated her. Not sure if this is right, but she can still see the rest of them. I might have to run out after bedtime and grab them some grass and toss it in there. Should I just put the blades in or dig up a small clod and throw the whole thing in there for everybody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by