Mean chicken-Need egg lying guidance?

LCARTER87

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
I posted up about a week ago about one of my hens being mean, literally has made me bleed a few times and doesnt mind coming back to peck me more when she is done! I have noticed her today running back and fourth to the nesting boxes, being in the box for maybe 5 minutes then coming back all mad clucking up a storm, is it possible she is having trouble laying her first egg? I cant be certain this is her first, but I dont think she is laying yet. Has anyone had issues with this before? She is SUCH a brat, I am hoping the poor thing just needs to push out the egg and get a new attitude!!
big_smile.png

Being bratty is an understandment for her! I now call her the devil chicken, she really hates me. Is it normal for her to jump in and out of the nesting box? Poor girl, I'm ready for her to lay and be nice!

Here is what you need to do about her biting you IMO. She is currently the top hen.

1. When she comes up to you to be mean to you, grab her as fast as you can. HOLD her down to the ground so she is tummy to the ground (not hurting her of course- just firmly). Hold her there for several seconds. Say nothing. Then let her go.

2. Repeat when she approaches you. Keep it up. Never give up your place in the pecking order.

3. You are now the top hen.

A hen will NEVER allow another hen to peck at her without doing something back unless she is lower in the peck order.

Of course this sounds rude. But it is a way to show her that you are boss. It has worked for me many times. You can fawn over her and dote on her too, carry her around in your arms like a baby. But when she tries to approach you and you know she is in attack mode, you must show you are boss.

Last edited:
I have an Australorp girl is also a very mean girl. She had on several occasions raised her hackles at me, charged and bit me so hard I bled. She was only 3 months old when it all started. She got so bad not only with me, but she turned into a "comb ripper" to the other girls. I got sick of it. So, I had 3 options....Find her a new home, (not easy with a mean chicken), I could eat her, (not easy for me to do either
lol.png
) or do this to her...

83358_dscn1595.jpg

Pinless Peepers. This became the only option for not only protecting myself, but the other girls combs. It worked!! She is now approaching one year old and has been sporting these for 4 months. She has not bitten me or ripped a single comb in months. I am going to leave them on another few months and try taking them off of her to see if these "adjusted her attitude". As for now, she gets along just as if they are not on her face and she is sweet as pie.

So this is an option for a cranky girl. And she also got really cranky before laying last fall, pacing around the nest boxes, bitting everybody. I think they get PMS! (Yes, I am a woman, so I know how it is!!)
lol.png

Good luck with your girl.
smile.png

I know I shouldn't have laughed at the photo, but I just couldnt help myself! I have tried flipping her on her back, another member suggested this, it seemed as if that just made her more furious at me! This week she actually bit my toe, made me bleed and my RIR saw her do it, so she came over and pecked her several times. I know she isnt the top bird, but she may be working her way up to the top! I will try pushing her down, my biggest hope is that once she pops this egg out she will calm down! If not a chicken muzzle may be in need!!
lol.png

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I've suggested pinless peepers for aggression but have not had experience with them. I wonder how they would work to reduce the aggression of a rooster?

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I've suggested pinless peepers for aggression but have not had experience with them. I wonder how they would work to reduce the aggression of a rooster?

I have heard that China uses them like mad, as you would imagine they stuff their birds together like sardines. They use them on the roosters so they won't kill each other. So it may work well on your boys, IF the peepers don't interfere with the combs. This girl here has gotten pretty used to them and she has learned how to really use her beak and aim very well. So 2 rooster may eventually learn to "go at" each other, but maybe not as well with out the peepers. It is worth the try. These things are cheap enough to purchase. 100 of them for a few dollars. Eggcartons.com sells them.

Edit to add: I meant to say a pack of 10 peepers costs a few dollars.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh please laugh! She is hilarious in these things! At first I had drawn eyes on the front of the peepers so it looked like she was looking at me.
lol.png
But they have since worn off. I tried all the manuvers with her.. holder her down, flipping her around, locking her in the coop for an hour. Nothing worked on her but these peepers.

You might want to consider it if all else fails. My girl gets to stay out of the frying pan and live a good life with the girls because of these peepers.
smile.png

Good luck with your girl!

Back
Top Bottom