Mean chicken

Estella1235

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2020
Whenever I go outside to see my chickens one of them keeps biting me and I don’t know why? When I tried to pick her up she bit me, and sometimes she’ll just come up and bit me! How do I get her to stop?

Welcome!
Keep her out of your personal space; carry a stick, bucket, or something, and walk through, not around her, and bump her with your arm extension to get her to move.
Wear jeans and shoes or boots so you aren't going to be injured, or at least not as injured.
Stop hand feeding if you have been doing it, and just insist that she moves away, not into you.
Pictures! How old are your birds, and let's see if you have a cockerel instead of a pullet.
Mary

She's probably just wanting you to feed her. None of my roosters have ever tried that, but I have several hens that will lightly peck my shoes or legs when they want food. One little game hen I made the mistake of spoiling will not just peck, but bite, and try to ride me or the feed bucket, she even tries riding on my head with those claws.
As soon as I open the door at feeding time I have to throw out a cup of feed to keep them from bum rushing me. Otherwise I would be covered in 4 or 5 chickens! :gig

I like my personal space and don't have chickens who learn that this sort of thing is okay.
Probably because we also have had horses, cattle, and big dogs for decades, where allowing this is just super dangerous! it's just second nature to insist on respectful behavior, rather than getting knocked down by a running dog, or worse yet, a one ton steer, or a very large horse.
Mary

I’m pretty sure she’s not a rooster, and I don’t think she’s pecking. It feels more like she’s biting.

Welcome!
Keep her out of your personal space; carry a stick, bucket, or something, and walk through, not around her, and bump her with your arm extension to get her to move.
Wear jeans and shoes or boots so you aren't going to be injured, or at least not as injured.
Stop hand feeding if you have been doing it, and just insist that she moves away, not into you.
Pictures! How old are your birds, and let's see if you have a cockerel instead of a pullet.
Mary

Attachments

• 56708F60-58A3-4E4B-BB7A-3B0C1662BA5E.jpeg
    56708F60-58A3-4E4B-BB7A-3B0C1662BA5E.jpeg
    695.3 KB · Views: 16
She's probably just wanting you to feed her. None of my roosters have ever tried that, but I have several hens that will lightly peck my shoes or legs when they want food. One little game hen I made the mistake of spoiling will not just peck, but bite, and try to ride me or the feed bucket, she even tries riding on my head with those claws.
As soon as I open the door at feeding time I have to throw out a cup of feed to keep them from bum rushing me. Otherwise I would be covered in 4 or 5 chickens! :gig
Yeah the same chicken who keeps biting me also tries to jump on top of me whenever she has the chance so I always have to watch her. I gave her more treats when she was younger because the was smaller than the others.

Back
Top Bottom