Mean Chicken

shinygirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
Hi there! My 9 month old Easter Egger hen has just started some aggression towards my 3 other hens- all the same age just different breeds. She's even mean to my dog now- my huge bird dog (he's friendly with the chickens:) ) but she's still fine with me! Does anyone know what to do?

Yes the chickens are all about the same size, she may be a little larger than one of them, but she's mean to all of them. She doesn't even lay so I don't know what she would be protecting:/ we let them out in the yard a lot of the time too and she randomly attacks the others:/

Is it possible to discipline a chicken?? Like if I tap her on the beak when she's attacking one of the other girls will she understand? Should I separate her?

Are you sure 'she' is not a 'he'?
Are the others laying yet?
Just the 4 chickens in your flock?

If it is in fact a hen and she hasn't laid yet, she maybe getting ready to lay, they can act kind skitzo sometimes until they get it figured out.

Yes I'm sure she is a she because she did lay a couple eggs around 6 months, and then she quit... But yes we only have 4 chickens and the other 3 do lay.

She sorta just tugs on their little gobble things but sometimes she gets at the feathers on their necks. They don't seem to be hurt afterwords so I'm not sure if its anything serious but it's scaring me! She's only been doing this that I've noticed for a couple weeks but it seems to be getting worse...

She sorta just tugs on their little gobble things but sometimes she gets at the feathers on their necks. They don't seem to be hurt afterwords so I'm not sure if its anything serious but it's scaring me! She's only been doing this that I've noticed for a couple weeks but it seems to be getting worse...

"On their little gobble things" xD

If there's no blood drawn and no interference with the others laying, maybe just leave them be to work it out. They can seem vicious, but that's how chickens do.
Since you don't have a rooster, sometimes a hen will take to lead role in the flock, the pecking might just be a dominance thing.

If blood letting or significant loss of feathers occurs, you might try separating her for a week or so, then reintroducing.
This will lower her position in the pecking order, will be some scrambling at reintroduction but hopefully settle them out.

.....or she may just be a rogue bully and need to be removed permanently.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom