Mean drake

Sprout_Garden

Chirping
Dec 10, 2021
Hi I need some help. Last September I got My drake (drake from state farm) two saxony ducklings they are all grown and have been outside since Christmas eve I have had them in a holding pen so the rest of the flock could get used to them my three khaki Campbell hens have been fine with them but my Drake will violently attack them everytime I take them out of the holding pen! One day they flew out of their pen and he attacked the viscously they were both badly injured so I clipped all three of their wings so they couldn't fly out and he couldn't fly into the pen. He has never shown aggression to any other duck or person until now I was told it was a dominance issue but how do I fix it if you know I would help so much.

At first I thought he was just trying to mate them but he singles them out every time.

Attachments

• received_499396655130756.jpeg
    received_499396655130756.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 23
  • received_316431753859102.jpeg
    received_316431753859102.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 8
  • received_894687374558675.jpeg
    received_894687374558675.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 8
  • received_374644041162334.jpeg
    received_374644041162334.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 8
  • received_3228059400745937.jpeg
    received_3228059400745937.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 7
I had a drake who did the same thing. He was the only one who had issues with them. I tried to separate them and slowly reintroduce them, the see but don’t touch method but nothing worked. I ended up having to put him down sadly. He just kept getting more and more aggressive

Hi I need some help. Last September I got My drake (drake from state farm) two saxony ducklings they are all grown and have been outside since Christmas eve I have had them in a holding pen so the rest of the flock could get used to them my three khaki Campbell hens have been fine with them but my Drake will violently attack them everytime I take them out of the holding pen! One day they flew out of their pen and he attacked the viscously they were both badly injured so I clipped all three of their wings so they couldn't fly out and he couldn't fly into the pen. He has never shown aggression to any other duck or person until now I was told it was a dominance issue but how do I fix it if you know I would help so much.

At first I thought he was just trying to mate them but he singles them out every time.
just to be clear, how many ducks to you have in with your drake? Is the aggression only towards the saxony ducks? How did you introduce them, see but no touch method? If so, how long was he allowed to see them?
I would separate them and do the "see but no touch" method for a couple of weeks. If when you reintroduce them he is still aggressive, I think you may have to rehome the two saxony ducks (if they are the only ones being picked on), or him.

just to be clear, how many ducks to you have in with your drake? Is the aggression only towards the saxony ducks? How did you introduce them, see but no touch method? If so, how long was he allowed to see them?
I would separate them and do the "see but no touch" method for a couple of weeks. If when you reintroduce them he is still aggressive, I think you may have to rehome the two saxony ducks (if they are the only ones being picked on), or him.
I have three khaki Campbell hens with him and they are great together I got some Saxony's so I could have some pure breed ducklings I have them in a pen where he see them but can't get ahold of them I have had them out for about four months. I was told it was hormones is there a way to calm him down?

It's up to you and your situation, but make sure you protect your girls and you don't want your drake to be miserable either. I had an all female flock of 5, ordered 3 females ducklings last August and two turned out to be male. I ended up having to cull one who was aggressive and trying to fight with my lead female, plus picking on a couple of the other girls. It was a difficult decision but it brought harmony back to my flock.

It's up to you and your situation, but make sure you protect your girls and you don't want your drake to be miserable either. I had an all female flock of 5, ordered 3 females ducklings last August and two turned out to be male. I ended up having to cull one who was aggressive and trying to fight with my lead female, plus picking on a couple of the other girls. It was a difficult decision but it brought harmony back to my flock.
Alright thank you it's been really hard to decide what to do because they are my babies

Back
Top Bottom