Mean Girls!!!!

tinychickies

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Okay, I used to have two very sweet Buff Orpington hens (cinnamon and butterscotch) among the 13 hens in my flock. They used to be very tame and will eat treats out of my hand. I consider them my favorites because of their calm and docile personalities. They loved to be picked up and I used to just softly brush their back and caress their beautiful feathers and they would literally fall asleep on my lap.
But just recently they both decided to go broody!
barnie.gif
I gave cinnamon 4 eggs and I gave 5 eggs to butterscotch to sit on. They have been broody for a few days now and whenever I go to their nest they would growl and get all puffed up with the meanest stinky eyes you've ever seen.
somad.gif
They would look at me like they were saying "Don't dare to come near me and take my eggs!"
smack.gif

What happened to my sweet darlings? I cannot comprehend how two very sweet innocent precious beauties would turn into the meanest and wicked of creatures.
I decided to change their names (at least for now). No more sweet cute names. Starting today they will be known as Matilda and Ursula.
hit.gif

Quote:
Yep, sounds familiar! My sweet Silkie Diamond went from Sweetest girl in the World to Witchie Poo, in no time flat! And stayed that way for Eight weeks + ater the chicks hatched, And then was sweet about a week just long enough to lay another clutch of eggs and back to witchie poo only this time I took her eggs. LOL

I know, right. I am certain that they will be good mommas and I thank them for that, I just miss their old selves though
hit.gif

Quote:
I'm sure they will be good momma's too, but for them, it all about protecting them eggs and chicks. It will be ok ,
hugs.gif
Maybe if you think about it this way it will help, in about 21 days you'll hopefully get to spoil the chicks if momma will let ya!
big_smile.png

Nope, not mean - just normal chickens preparing for the next generation. It's only normal chicken behavior not 'mean'.

Back
Top Bottom