Mean hen

dandy_one

Chirping
Sep 24, 2020
I have a buff orphington hen that chases the other hens away from the hen house. Has anyone else had this problem, and how do I solve it? She is one of my newest to the flock, normally in the past, I have found buff orphingtons to be very gentle and passive. Any and all help appreciated!

Your previous experience with Buff Orpingtons is different than mine. My Buff Orp is the undisputed queen of all things chicken. She isn't vicious, but she will gladly hand out a peck on the head to anyone who gets too close to whatever she wants -- food, treats, roost, small bit of land to stand on. She never draws blood, but she makes her position clear to all.

Maybe, since yours is the newest, she just wants to let everyone know she's in charge and once they understand her rules, life will calm down a bit. Let's hope!

4 of my chickens were rescue chickens that weren't being cared for or fed properly. It took them 3 weeks before they were starting to lay eggs again. The other 4 I bought from a guy that wanted to start a duck egg business.

Back
Top Bottom