Mean Hen

UrbanWestChickens

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2023
We integrated 2 new, younger hens (12 weeks old, our other 3 were 18 weeks) about 6 weeks ago, I did tons of research. Quarantined them first, then exposed them to each other within a cage, let them free range together, added them into the coop at night, had two food and waters. . . There was some pecking which I read to expect but no fighting, no blood, I haven’t seen any feathers pulled.

In the past few weeks two of the hens have pretty much stopped pecking the new ones altogether, maybe an occasional peck but overall I can tell the new chickens are comfortable around two of our older hens. But one of our hens, Stella, is relentless. She just out of nowhere pecks the younger ones and they are terrified of her. Most of the time it just looks like a little nudge but every now and then she goes in fierce.

Also if the younger ones get in the coop early, all is good. But I think if they follow the older girls in, Stella refuses to let them in. And I find them on their roost in the run after dark.

My big questions are, how long does it take after integrating for things to calm down? Will things calm down as they get bigger? Or is Stella being a bully and I need to intervene? I’ve seen recommendations not to remove her unless there is blood but we’re going out of town in 1.5 weeks and I’d really like them to be living a little more harmoniously for the sitter.

Appreciate any advice on this or stories of similar instances and what might have worked.

Older hens are olive eggers, younger hens are black easter eggers.

Some bullies never stop. You might want to try Pinless peepers. These little blinders will stop the pecking, but not interfere with eating, drinking, roosting. They block the vision partially, just immediately in front of.
This hen had become a vicious bully, drawing blood. Wearing the peepers for several months cured her.
IMG_2040.jpeg
They are made of plastic and held in place by little prongs that go in the nostrils.
It is a bit of a challenge to put on, it helps to have 2 people, one to hold the bird and the other to place the peeper. You flex it in your fingers and it will spring into place. You don’t need a tool, tho they sell them.
At this point in my chicken keeping, I’m not sure I want to deal with a bully any more. The most recent one I just took to the poultry swap.

You could separate the bully in a crate away from the others for a few days which will usually reset the pecking order and calm the bully down.

If I was going to be gone, I would try the pin less peepers for a week before I go. I would feel uncomfortable not knowing how it was going. Then you can take them off when you come back if you don't like them.

Back
Top Bottom