Mean hens attacking me

Pictures would help us to just make sure they are hens.
I would try an experiment just because I LOVE animal mental games: instead of grabbing them to get them in before the storm comes or because of the hawk, try sprinkling some treats where you want them to come in and calling them like you normally do. Then see if their behavior changes because of this new tactic.
Another thought: what color are all your footwear, the same color?

Oh I've tried that. When they are pecking eating the treats, they keep an eye on me and won't let me get too close. I now make them some oatmeal and carry it on a plate to their kennel. They follow me happily and go in easily with that. I had a different coop earlier that I couldn't walk into. Now I have a big walk in one which makes it a lot easier to get them to follow me in with some favorite foods. Most of my shoes are black or brown but I have been in there with the blue ones or the orange ones and same thing.

They hatched on August 10th, how long could it take to tell? Seems odd that out of 6 eggs there would be 5 roos and 1 hen. It's usually 50/50, and as far as I can tell it was 3 roos and 3 hens. I'm going to get photos, just cant get out there until later.
The 50 50 standard is more for 100s of eggs. The ratio can be anything for 100 to 100 for small clutches.

I have issues like that with these 😡 they are mean little beggars to me and the other hens.

Attachments

• 725BD0A2-3D2B-449B-AC27-E83018FE2857.jpeg
    725BD0A2-3D2B-449B-AC27-E83018FE2857.jpeg
    557.3 KB · Views: 5
Did this behavior started before you got rid of the males?

Only thing I can think of, besides soup, is...peck them back.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Back
Top Bottom