Mean hens pulling tail feathers and backs raw.

Thank for all the replies and ideas. It took about three weeks for her tail feathers to grow back last time so hopefully it’ll be fast this time so I can put them back. What other feed aside from Purina laying pellets? I keep the food open all the time but I do keep it inside the coupe and will lay scratch in the run every couple days. We can’t free range since we have huge hawks.
I was having issues with my rooster been too rough on the girls and I bought them aprons and it didn’t work out and I got rid of him too. I bought feather fixer pellets. I think it’s from purina. I got it on TSC. My poor girls looked like this. The BR is growing her feathers back now the others not yet.

Attachments

• C6781986-7E6D-4D52-AB89-9F13164CE5D9.jpeg
    C6781986-7E6D-4D52-AB89-9F13164CE5D9.jpeg
    664.1 KB · Views: 7
  • F1688592-3DE2-4535-8E81-967EE770143C.jpeg
    F1688592-3DE2-4535-8E81-967EE770143C.jpeg
    881.8 KB · Views: 8
  • E1966C57-39E0-497F-9477-25B0290F2206.jpeg
    E1966C57-39E0-497F-9477-25B0290F2206.jpeg
    502.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 4D4D36E7-2326-43CF-874F-06C6BABBAB83.jpeg
    4D4D36E7-2326-43CF-874F-06C6BABBAB83.jpeg
    640.8 KB · Views: 7
Thank for all the replies and ideas. It took about three weeks for her tail feathers to grow back last time so hopefully it’ll be fast this time so I can put them back. What other feed aside from Purina laying pellets? I keep the food open all the time but I do keep it inside the coupe and will lay scratch in the run every couple days. We can’t free range since we have huge hawks.
If a feather is fully plucked out, it will regrow pretty fast...if it is broekn off it wil not regrow until molt.

I like Purina Flock Raiser...with oyster shells in a separate feeder for the active layers.

If a feather is fully plucked out, it will regrow pretty fast...if it is broekn off it wil not regrow until molt.

I like Purina Flock Raiser...with oyster shells in a separate feeder for the active layers.
That’s why my poor girls are not regrowing their feathers. I use purina flock raiser and OS on the side as well but I got the feathers fixer to try to help them

Just a note on Hawks - I have a family of red tail hawks in a tree just off my property. They love the baby robins and voles in my back field and are always around. After my chickens were dive bombed a couple times at 8 weeks the hawks are no longer a problem. My chickens stay in the bushes and low bushy trees. When they want to move along they peak their heads out looking for the hawks, and if they don’t see them the sprint through the grass to the next bush/tree. When the hawks do show up they lay under the low bushes and take a nap. It’s fascinating to watch - but turns out the survival instinct is strong. I assume one day they might be a snack - but in the summer there are just so many tasty treats the hawks are leaving my flock alone.
The chickens also hide from airplanes.....

Just a note on Hawks - I have a family of red tail hawks in a tree just off my property. They love the baby robins and voles in my back field and are always around. After my chickens were dive bombed a couple times at 8 weeks the hawks are no longer a problem. My chickens stay in the bushes and low bushy trees. When they want to move along they peak their heads out looking for the hawks, and if they don’t see them the sprint through the grass to the next bush/tree. When the hawks do show up they lay under the low bushes and take a nap. It’s fascinating to watch - but turns out the survival instinct is strong. I assume one day they might be a snack - but in the summer there are just so many tasty treats the hawks are leaving my flock alone.
The chickens also hide from airplanes.....
That’s amazing

I love that they hide from airplanes 🤣. This morning went out to coope and thankfully I took the time to dig a predator fence all around the run. I have six inch deep holes of a predator trying to get inside to get a snack. As far as food for these picky hens that like feather what else do I add aside from laying pellets to boost up nutrition ? I’ve given them black oil sunflower seed And those dried worms but that was spendy and didn’t last long.

And in addition to more protein let them have some whole carrots, apples etc. to keep them occupied and working away the boredom.

Back
Top Bottom