Mean hens pulling tail feathers and backs raw.

ChickinProblems

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2020
Hello! I have 11 chickens all raised together that are about 1.5 yo. For about five months I’ve been noticing someone is a severe bully. Four chickens are completely raw and missing tail feather. One was picked on so bad that I separated her until her feathers grew back. Just put her back in the coupe today and within an hour her whole tail feathers were ripped out. I watch them for hours and never witness who is doing it. The injured hem is now in isolation with her sister who is plucked raw on her back as well. I have no rooster. They have lots of room , food , scratch and water. I’m out of ideas. Any clue on who to tell who the bully is so I can remove her ?

E74ABB04-E6B5-45FD-A73F-E28114D8784C.jpeg
8181B5E3-13C1-4B86-A57B-8F237B006966.jpeg
A032DC33-4017-4E88-9C03-7401EDEFE949.jpeg
30FBD644-74D4-497D-837C-03B1033EEF55.jpeg
3B784D07-0B63-4AEB-A7BB-C0CAC41B7096.jpeg

Here are some pictures. The chicken run is about six feet by twenty if I had to guess. The actual coupe is a converted tool shed. I have used blue koat , peck no more and vetericyn. Though at first could be mites treated for that. The eat Purina laying pellets.

Thank you. I will remove my largest hen with no feather damage once these gals heal up and see if that helps.
Better remove her now or the others will never be able to get better, and this might even lead to cannibalism.

Try feeding some real butter twice a week,, this often helps when a nutrient deficiency is the cause.

Omg that’s awful. Good luck with solving the problem. If you figure out who’s doing it separate her for the flock until they all grow their feathers. 😭
I had a little cockerel that was doing that to the mom. I sat there for a whole day watching them until I saw him doing it. I tried everything to stop him from doing it but at the end I got rid of him because nothing worked

Thank for all the replies and ideas. It took about three weeks for her tail feathers to grow back last time so hopefully it’ll be fast this time so I can put them back. What other feed aside from Purina laying pellets? I keep the food open all the time but I do keep it inside the coupe and will lay scratch in the run every couple days. We can’t free range since we have huge hawks.

Back
Top Bottom