Mean little rooster!!

PeachygirlGA

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2012
Fort Valley, GA
My little Butterscotch has turned out to be quite mean! I have planned all along to get rid of him because I already have a rooster, but should I give him away to someone or will he be mean with them too? My husband thinks we should just eat him, and although at first that really bothered me, the older he gets and wanting to attack me all the time, the idea is not as horrible as it used to be! My son will just grab him and hold him on the ground until he calms down or hold him by the feet upside down. He doesn't really bother him much, but he will just come up to me and attack! I guess my question is, should I try to sell/give him away or put him in the freezer? And if I do decide he will be supper at what age should I do this?

Since you don't particularly seem to want him then I'd go ahead and eat him. Or try to give him away if you'd rather do that, but do be sure to tell them he is aggressive.

If you decide you want to keep him then do what your son does. Teach him that YOU are higher on the pecking order than he is. He's trying to show dominance over you with his attacks and needs to be taught better.

He'd make great chicken & rice.

What kind of rooster is he? I would just scoop him up and carry him around with me. At 12 weeks, the worst he could do is peck you...put on a long sleeve shirt, some pants, socks and shoes and retrain him to respect you. You don't have to be mean about it, just assertive. If he attacks, you scoop him up, tuck him under your arm and go about your business for 5 - 10 minutes..then, put him back down. Repeat as needed.

Well shoot I replied but it disappeared! lol! I thought of trying to change his behavior, but I'm not planning on keeping him anyway so figured why try. I posted his picture a week or so ago because of his large comb. I laugh and say his big comb is why he is so mean! lol!

Since he is so young, I would try and rehome him...he could make someone else a really fine flock protector!

Back
Top Bottom