Mean male pekin part 2 getting worse

Sarsa72

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hes only 9months this month and i have tried showing him dominance and did the suggestion of being on all fours with him and nothing. He still goes after me and bites hard. Just me, not my boyfriend. He was so friendly younger. He stops for a little bit when i pick him up and hold him but it doesn't last. Shoving him away and even pinning him with me on all fours like suggested just pissed him off more it seems. He just keeps coming after me, even chasing me back and forth in the pen when i walk by. Im hoping he will grow out of it. I give him treats and loving but hes still aggressive. Any other suggestions? Ive got bite marks up my arm and on my hands. I just wish hed stop or take me as an equal or dominant already:(

Attachments

• 20171122_163316.jpg
    20171122_163316.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 16
I had a chicken like this. Her name was pecky because she pecked me because the others pecked her because of burnt feathers on her back. Could it be that the others are picking on him? Where is he in the pecking order? THis is a tough situation but if it was me, he would have to go...

Hello....Unfortunatly you will get many crazy opinions on how to handle aggressive Drakes...The more you fight him the harder he fights back...No one realizes that he is hormonal and pushy...Drakes protect their Hens..Stop treats...Your bellow him and he knows it..He might do better in another home?...I gave away an aggressive Drake I hand raised because he became too aggressive with me and my Dogs..

Only way he could bite your hands and arms is if he has access to them. Leave him alone if he comes after you take the broom and put it between you and him or use it to push him away. Let him know you mean business. You can't be trying to cuddle or pet him when he is like this. Make him get out of your way when you go in his space use the broom again.

I reach into the pen and all so that's why he has access to my hands amd arms. I do have a broom and mop between us. Its funny i found out he hates this pine tree branch that fell off our xmas tree. Its silly but works and if i have that he stays away ha. I cant get rid of him though i only have the 2 and i think she would be heartbroken. They are inseparable even though he grabs ger by the neck a lot. I know that's a mating thing but still. I know hes hormonal and protective of her..thats why i was hoping he would maybe grow out of it. Sucks:/

Hes even nice to our cat (hes a male too) its just me. I thought it had something to do with me being a female. Ive never really seen him around my girlfriends or anything and all. The irony..

Aw, I'm sorry your drake is being nasty. I always do in birds that bite the hands that feed, serve, and love them and always have. There are always nice drakes dying because there are just too many and Mr/Ms. Nasty has decided to be undeserving and not play nice with me, my family, or other birds. I feel your pain though. I love my sweet Elvis, and Cocoa is a loveable, gets fat on air, lardball (that I need to stop overfeeding somehow), and our breeding roosters are like our beautiful garden mascots. I've had to cull beautiful birds i didn't want to, and I waited too long to cull others (and family or I got spurred and/or bit). I hope you beat the odds and wind up with a sweet drake somehow. Too bad they don't neuter ducks.

How long did you keep him pinned down? I'm sure he got pissed, ducks and especially drakes do that. It is essential that he learns you will not stop when he fights back. If you held it down for a minute, try 5 minutes and perhaps speak to him with a raised voice.
Broom idea is OK, when he starts charging, just swipe him away gently a few times, he should soon realize you are not submissive and he should stop. At first, he will only try harder, so he may become angry and frustrated, but it should end when he accepts that fact. He might become the sweet drake again, I am sure, he's just hormone driven.

The fact that you are female is not the problem. He have learned that he can show aggression towards you, and he gets sweets in return. He will not stop if he gets what he wants when he is mean. Ducks are smart and they easily connect the dots. Make sure he sees you can be mean as well. Give treats to the duck and shoo him away. When he is calm and friendly, give him treats as well. He will understand.

Sorry your drake is acting up - it sounds frustrating! It looks like his aggression has been a problem for a few months now. I imagine that the corrective actions you need to take may require acting bigger, louder, and more dominant than feels natural when dealing with a small animal (especially one that you love!), but now is the time to get him in line so that your human/bird flock can return to harmony.

I thought these past discussions might be useful as you re-train him to see you as the alpha flock leader. From what I've read, @Miss Lydia has successfully addressed a similar problem. Here is a detailed description from another thread on how she dealt with a troublemaking drake:
My drake Opie [Muscovy] when he was getting close to 4-5 months old turned from this sweet lil cuddly duckling to this crazed drake who would fly up onto my back when I walked away from him or climb my leg and attack me I had other drakes but none had been raised specifically by me they had their mamas, so this was very new to me I came on here frantic to what was going on, was told about hormones and that it was best to kill him yep that person said that to me, Well Thankfully there were others who actually gave me things to do to train him and teach him that I was his flock leader not his girl, I was in love with this drake and heart broken to think I had made him that way because of being raised by me, There were other ducks here also but it was him and me for close to 12 weeks, I eventually went and got him 3 females same age and after some serious training he began to leave me alone and focused on them. I all this training tough love because you have to be determined to follow through with this or he'll never learn.

When he comes towards you like he is going after you put the broom between you and him to stop him in his tracks if he keeps coming after that take him and place one hand behind his head on his neck and the other at base of tail where tail and body meet. Lay him down flat on the ground belly down hold him till he stops fighting them let him go facing away from you if he comes again do it again .You not hurting him when holding him just enough pressure to keep him down. I would even come towards him and make him get out of my way by pushing him with the broom [not hitting him]
You have to be fast though you want to catch him off guard and your telling him you are flock leader not him. My drake is big so I place my knee on him to help hold him in place. I can even straddle him and squat over him and hold him down, what ever works and being over top is like a drake would be if he was putting him in his place.

This is not an over night training session it does take time, But Opie is now 6 yrs old and he is an awesome drake with me, oh sometimes he will get a little feisty with me but I let him know right away I am not going to put up with it and he learns quick.

I wish you the best as you start your training of your drake They make great pets once they know their place

While these articles are not about duck behavior, I think they provide great insight into understanding animal aggression in the context of flock dynamics and model how a flock leader needs to assert dominance in the animal’s own “language”.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-my-rooster-doing.1210126/
See post #8 including the quote from Beekissed's “Rooster Speak” article

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/
See post #2 & #19 by Olive Hill on how to regain the dominant position of flock leader with a gander. For further discussion check out posts: #26, #27 & #42

Good luck! We'll be cheering you on! :woot

Back
Top Bottom