mean momma, need help

pennyhenny13

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
I have a hen that just hatched two chicks, and one other young hen. they are all bantam chickens in a 6*8 tractor. The momma hen has been attacking and running the poor little white one all over the coop! She pecks at me just when I reach in to give water and food. I know she's just being a mom but what can I do? If I were to take the chicks away what would I need? I've only had these chickens less than a week and I'm tempted to give the mom back! The poor white one is docile and just wants to get away! I'm scared she's going to hurt herself trying to escape!

Sounds like the mama is sick of raising chicks, I think it'll be okay to give back the mom for the chicks' sake.

The youngest chicks are only 2-4 days old what should I do with them? What would I need to keep them warm?

I thought you meant the mother hen was chasing the other young hen around? Basically being protective of chicks with the other hen and you? If so, is there a way you can separate them in the tractor? Maybe with just some chicken wire inside, making an area just for mama hen and chicks? Otherwise, you'll need a box for a brooder along with a light for heat, bedding, and containers for food and water. I

If you really want to bring the chick in for it's sake that's fine, all you have to do is make a nice brooder. The first brooder I made was a box with a lamp giving heat from above and I had put cloth covering the floor, if you are using a cardboard box then defenetaly put paper towels or cloth ( maybe an old T-shirt) because if the ground is too slippery there legs will kind of expand..and they cannot walk like that and trust me you DO NOT want baby chicks with split legs! So yeah good luck and what breed are the chicks :)

Last edited:
They are bantam chicks, silkie x RIR. I have a friend that has a raised coop and run, she took mama and babies so she can feel more secure with them. I had just gotten them a few days and I took the broody hen and her eggs. I was told she had only been sitting on them for less than a week, so I thought I would have time to create a seperate area for them, well they hatched the next day. Thank you for all your help

Back
Top Bottom