Mean roo.. any tips??

Okay. I'll try and see if we can try that a few times. Where we live I let my kids play outside while I cook or something and check on them every few. Lately I don't let them unless I'm out with them bc of him. I'll talk to hubby and see what he wants to do. I'd prefer roo to go but we'll see. My husband was saying he wants to pen them up again.

Seperating the rooster from his harem should bring down his hormones. We often separate roosters in bachelor pens, but we have to do it because we breed chickens. In a backyard settings why would you keep a rooster, if you have to cage him away from the flock? I agree with @Acre4Me that you should get rid of that mean rooster. Meanness is also inheritable, you don't want the next generation to be mean too.

Yes and he can also become aggressive once he realizes he's the man.
So is there any way to avoid them becoming aggressive? He's still really calm even with his girls and let's my kids pick him up and all. Is there anyway to at least keep him calm? I mean we can do without the picking up and all. I just don't want them being attacked.

I do have a silkie roo that has his own 2 girls and 5 other younger birds he took under his wing. They stay away from the adults. Is it possible my silkie roo will become "man of the house"?

Yes, but Silkies are not particularly suited for a free range setting. They cannot perform the watch duty as some other breeds because of their limited visibility.

Seperating the rooster from his harem should bring down his hormones. We often separate roosters in bachelor pens, but we have to do it because we breed chickens. In a backyard settings why would you keep a rooster, if you have to cage him away from the flock? I agree with @Acre4Me that you should get rid of that mean rooster. Meanness is also inheritable, you don't want the next generation to be mean too.
That's what I was thinking was it would be kind of silly to do that. We're going to decide whether we should just pen them all or get rid of roo. I'd rather him go but I'm worried the silkie will be the same way.

So is there any way to avoid them becoming aggressive? He's still really calm even with his girls and let's my kids pick him up and all. Is there anyway to at least keep him calm? I mean we can do without the picking up and all. I just don't want them being attacked.

If he shows agression pick him up, tuck him under your arms until he calms down is the standard advice that I see here. Raising the hackel feathers is the first sign of a rooster agression. Try stopping it their.

If he shows agression pick him up, tuck him under your arms until he calms down is the standard advice that I see here. Raising the hackel feathers is the first sign of a rooster agression. Try stopping it their.
Okay. We're going to work on our next moves with this and hopefully figure something out.

They are hit and miss, you'll have to be the judge of that. I personally have never had a nice rooster with hens but my spouse who wouldn't blink an eye at kicking a field goal with one never had problem with the same roosters I had issues with. Show your dominance and there are some helpful threads on this site that might give you tips.

They are hit and miss, you'll have to be the judge of that. I personally have never had a nice rooster with hens but my spouse who wouldn't blink an eye at kicking a field goal with one never had problem with the same roosters I had issues with. Show your dominance and there are some helpful threads on this site that might give you tips.
Alright. Will do! My husband is the same. He has no issue with giving a swift kick in the butt when the rooster is being an ass. I just never felt right doing that. He said it's needed. He had a jersey giant who was an aggressive (not so) little guy. And he said the best way to break it is to show your not afraid and to be more dominant. So idk. I just don't want the kids getting hurt or anything. If he hurts the kids then I will get my rage and prob kill him right on the spot. But we're avoiding that part.

That's what I was thinking was it would be kind of silly to do that. We're going to decide whether we should just pen them all or get rid of roo. I'd rather him go but I'm worried the silkie will be the same way.

In a large poultry operation, there are a lot of chickens and they are always engaged with themselves, because the struggle for becoming the top roo is never ending. In small backyard settings with just a handful of hens and only a few roo, the roosters have a lot of time to grief the owners. You never know when your rooster will turn hostile, or if he ever will. It's all about trial and error.

In my experience though Aseel and Black Jersey Giants make the most people friendly roosters. However Aseels are very agressive to other roosters.

In a large poultry operation, there are a lot of chickens and they are always engaged with themselves, because the struggle for becoming the top roo is never ending. In small backyard settings with just a handful of hens and only a few roo, the roosters have a lot of time to grief the owners. You know never know when your rooster will turn hostile, or if he ever will. It's all about trial and error.

In my experience though Aseel and Black Jersey Giants make the most people friendly roosters. However Aseels are very agressive to other roosters.
Okay. I'm going to look into that. Maybe we can trade someone or something. I'll do some research and see what my options are. Thanks for that! I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom