Mean Roo help please

May 20, 2021
Back in September I had posted about a cockerel I have who was showing some mean tendencys. After some advice, as its my first time with a Roo, it was determined that he was likely just learning/starting his mating behaviour. Well just over a month or 2 ago (I’m terrible with time but I’m guessing that’s when it started). He full on attacked me, he grabbed my leg (thankfully my pants) and wouldn’t let go. And kept diving at me, I had to keep putting my leg out and he’d run into that and swing him off, to stop him from getting onto my body, and when he was on I’d have to shake him off, he would not let up and kept coming at me. Thankfully he is a silkie so he’s a smaller rooster. I wracked my brain wondering what set him off, he’s always been fine with me. After looking through threads on here, I read that maybe it was what I was wearing. I usually wear dark Color’s, as my jackets black and its cold where I live, well I had a super bright orange shirt hanging out from under my jacket, so I assumed thats what set him off... Well, he‘s since kept up with it every other day I go in there hes giving me attitude or warning me off, or tried to attack me. Ive read to be bigger and louder and to not back down, but he’s not intimidated by me AT ALL. So now I go in with a shovel to use it as a sheild (ridiculous I know) I dont hurt him of course! but hes intimidated by the big dark shovel and stands back just from seeing it…or he was up until this week, now when I go collect eggs, he tries attacking my shovel, and this isn’t something I can keep up with forever. I’m small (5’1) and 8 months pregnant, And hes really stressing me out! Is all hope lost? I dont have the heart to put him down, and I dont know how rehoming would go because would he just terrorize someone else? Or would starting at the bottom of the pecking order be beneficial for him?

He is trying to mate with you. Can you describe the condition of the pen where you keep him? Is he isolated, are there other hens or roosters around? Im asking more out of curiosity than ability to help.

I had a rooster that would grab my feet and pants with his beak when he was younger, i thought it was funny because all the other chickens tend to run, but this one would come at me, albeit more gently than yours sounds.

He grew out of it, but it also helps having him surrounded by hens and he now just has his girlfriends.
Back in September I had posted about a cockerel I have who was showing some mean tendencys. After some advice, as its my first time with a Roo, it was determined that he was likely just learning/starting his mating behaviour. Well just over a month or 2 ago (I’m terrible with time but I’m guessing that’s when it started). He full on attacked me, he grabbed my leg (thankfully my pants) and wouldn’t let go. And kept diving at me, I had to keep putting my leg out and he’d run into that and swing him off, to stop him from getting onto my body, and when he was on I’d have to shake him off, he would not let up and kept coming at me. Thankfully he is a silkie so he’s a smaller rooster. I wracked my brain wondering what set him off, he’s always been fine with me. After looking through threads on here, I read that maybe it was what I was wearing. I usually wear dark Color’s, as my jackets black and its cold where I live, well I had a super bright orange shirt hanging out from under my jacket, so I assumed thats what set him off... Well, he‘s since kept up with it every other day I go in there hes giving me attitude or warning me off, or tried to attack me. Ive read to be bigger and louder and to not back down, but he’s not intimidated by me AT ALL. So now I go in with a shovel to use it as a sheild (ridiculous I know) I dont hurt him of course! but hes intimidated by the big dark shovel and stands back just from seeing it…or he was up until this week, now when I go collect eggs, he tries attacking my shovel, and this isn’t something I can keep up with forever. I’m small (5’1) and 8 months pregnant, And hes really stressing me out! Is all hope lost? I dont have the heart to put him down, and I dont know how rehoming would go because would he just terrorize someone else? Or would starting at the bottom of the pecking order be beneficial for him?

He is trying to mate with you. Can you describe the condition of the pen where you keep him? Is he isolated, are there other hens or roosters around? Im asking more out of curiosity than ability to help.

I had a rooster that would grab my feet and pants with his beak when he was younger, i thought it was funny because all the other chickens tend to run, but this one would come at me, albeit more gently than yours sounds.

He grew out of it, but it also helps having him surrounded by hens and he now just has his girlfriends.
Oh! It feels like hes in attack mode because he scares me when he does it, and hes very aggressive. ( not arguing as I genuinely don’t know!) he has 9 hens to himself ( we had a loss recently, he had 10 when this started), no other Roos. They have a very large coop, because it was converted from a full workshop that was preexisting when we bought our property, and we have fenced off land for them. Do you think more hens would help him? Do you think rehoming would work then because it would be a new owner? I just dont want to put out an ad for a free rooster that becomes an issue for someone else.

Some roosters are just plain mean.
Cull him or find someone who will or rehome him with disclosure. Small he may be, he could still trip you and you cannot afford to fall. You and your baby are far more important.💕
Thank you for your comment! I appreciate it❤️ He honestly scares me that something bad might happen if I dont sort this out! It seemed it was a one time thing, but its just progressively gotten worse. I accidentally posted this thread twice when trying to backscreen to edit my post, and in the other thread another person commented my Roo is trying to mate with me. If thats how he tries to mate or not I dont think I can handle him.

I’ll try putting an ad out as I do live in a farming area, hopefully someone else doesn’t mind a mean roo. I dont know what else to call him other than that? Can I ask how you would advise, or should I just flat out say mean Roo need to rehome? Do you think hes Trying to mate, because Im not experienced with them, and I feel like hes being just aggressive, but I definitely dont know more than the other more experienced keepers on here!

Thank you for your comment! I appreciate it❤️ He honestly scares me that something bad might happen if I dont sort this out! It seemed it was a one time thing, but its just progressively gotten worse. I accidentally posted this thread twice when trying to backscreen to edit my post, and in the other thread another person commented my Roo is trying to mate with me. If thats how he tries to mate or not I dont think I can handle him.

I’ll try putting an ad out as I do live in a farming area, hopefully someone else doesn’t mind a mean roo. I dont know what else to call him other than that? Can I ask how you would advise, or should I just flat out say mean Roo need to rehome? Do you think hes Trying to mate, because Im not experienced with them, and I feel like hes being just aggressive, but I definitely dont know more than the other more experienced keepers on here!
Its hard to say if he's trying to mate, but it's honestly not worth the debate imo.
I'd say mean roo needs a new home or freezer. There's not many options for a mean roo.

Back
Top Bottom