Mean rooster or in love?

Well, everyone had their own take. My thought is he's young and virile and needs more hens to spread his attention around, especially first thing in the morning. It's very normal for roosters to want to mate in the mornings and the op says he settles down and they're fine after a while, so it doesn't sound like he's hounding her all day. One rooster, especially a young one, is just wired to mate with several hens. One hen's going to have a hard time if all that attention's on her.
yes hopefully it will work for them!

We decided to head back to the chicken ranch this morning to get a few more girls. At first I brought home two pretty but kind if young girls. Merle zeroed in on the smallest and she was back in the car to the ranch in 10 minutes. Came back with a pretty black and brown adult silkie. Merle left her alone and started making moves on the remaining pretty girl. This upset Pearl, his First Lady, abd she started chasing her and pecking. Back she went and the solkie's sister, also adult, is here. No one is fighting. Had to show the silkies the coop to sleep in. Tomorrow morning will be interesting.

Well, there's always going to be upset when you introduce new animals. Of course he's going to want to jump all over a new hen, and she may not like it. That's just the animal world. Pearl and any new hens are going to have to figure out who is dominant, and chickens do that by chasing, pecking, etc. You just need to give them a chance to work things out on their own. Good rule of thumb is no blood=no foul. They might make a lot of noise and act like they're going to kill each other, but they'll settle down once each hen knows where she stands.

Well, there's always going to be upset when you introduce new animals. Of course he's going to want to jump all over a new hen, and she may not like it. That's just the animal world. Pearl and any new hens are going to have to figure out who is dominant, and chickens do that by chasing, pecking, etc. You just need to give them a chance to work things out on their own. Good rule of thumb is no blood=no foul. They might make a lot of noise and act like they're going to kill each other, but they'll settle down once each hen knows where she stands.
yep! So true

A very peaceful first full day of the new "family". Merle chases each one every so often. If its nit Prarl she chases him while he chases one if the others. So far all 3 girls are behaving and not trying to "one up" eachother. Seems like this is going to work!

Six? OMG I had no idea! No wonder the people at tbe chicken ranch were laughing when I told them what was happening and that I needed "a sister or two" to help the girl.

We [went] back to the chicken ranch this morning to get a few more girls... Merle zeroed in on the smallest and she [went] back... to the ranch in 10 minutes. Came back with a pretty black and brown adult silkie. Merle left her alone and started making moves on the remaining ... This upset Pearl... she started chasing her... Back she went and the solkie's sister ...is [still] here. ... Tomorrow ...will be interesting.
I'll say,
wink.png
Are you trying to tell us that your Hen Pearl has eyes
love.gif
for another .....hen?
ep.gif

or is Merle the rooster just mad because they won't let him watch?
lau.gif

Remember that hens and roosters are domesticated birds and any resemblances they share with humans and/or our relationships with eachother are purely coincidental. That's what I like about chickens, you never know what's going to happen next.

Sorry, I just found it too potentially funny to resist.

Back
Top Bottom