mean rooster

Is there any way you can cage him until you can get rid of him? I know it's sad to have to get rid of an animal you've grown attached to or liked at one time, but think about this - he has no such feelings for you. You will enjoy your chickens much more when you can go out to do chores without worry about being attacked.

It is starting to become unpleasant, I used to love going out and watching them and bringing them treats but now I dread even having to go and let them out because of the rooster. Have advertised him but no interest yet. Will see if my mother in law will take him, she would have no problem culling him but would make me sad, I loved him when we first got him.

Do you have somewhere you can leg tie him? I use that for aggressive cocks until I have a chance to... remove them. You put a stake in the ground, and attach about 5' of wire or baling twine to it, with a little dog leash clip on the end. Put a zip tie on his leg and clip him to it. It should give him a decent radius to roam without being able to get after you.

It is starting to become unpleasant, I used to love going out and watching them and bringing them treats but now I dread even having to go and let them out because of the rooster. Have advertised him but no interest yet. Will see if my mother in law will take him, she would have no problem culling him but would make me sad, I loved him when we first got him.
You could embarrass him in front of his ladies, Grab a hold of him and just carry him around under your arm, or grab him by his feet and carry him around upside down. Animals dont like to be constrained against their will. This will let him know you are bigger and badder than him and if he continues to struggle, Just hold him longer. If he continues to be aggressive after that, His new name would be 12 gauge a LA crockpot!.

I had a rooster that "WAS" mean and tried to flog me every chance he got. So i potatoe'd his spurs off and he got swift right hooks along with his fair share of being held upside down. He would scream squawk and struggle to break free, after about 45 seconds of being held he just admitted defeat. He would run from me every time i came out to the coop but he would square up with my dog any chance he got.

I take all of my unwanted roosters to the sale barn. I've never had a mean one but had several when i incubated some crossed eggs that went to the poultry auction.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies to this thread. I have a mean one too. He is about 6 months old and getting worse. We were keeping him because DD liked him but now she is afraid - he chases her too. I know he picks on her because she is the smallest person in the yard even when there are other people outside. At this point she said as long as he is taken care of while she is at school and it is over when she gets home, she is OK with it. He also crows constantly and has an annoying pitched crow. We have a new hatch of 4 and if one of the chicks is a good rooster, he can replace "Dad". If not, I will do without a roo. What is a good way to separate the bad rooster from the flock?

Is there any way you can cage him until you can get rid of him? I know it's sad to have to get rid of an animal you've grown attached to or liked at one time, but think about this - he has no such feelings for you. You will enjoy your chickens much more when you can go out to do chores without worry about being attacked.
Oh yes. I can not even go into the chicken yard or pet my hens when the rooster is out.

There is absolutely no reason to keep a mean rooster. Get rid of him, one way or another. Then, if you would like another rooster, there are always many of them looking for good homes.

Oh yes. I can not even go into the chicken yard or pet my hens when the rooster is out.

Id carry a shotgun with me, first time he jumped at me, he would touch the ground dead. As said in the next quoted text. Theres no reason to have a mean rooster after trying to correct him.
There is absolutely no reason to keep a mean rooster. Get rid of him, one way or another. Then, if you would like another rooster, there are always many of them looking for good homes.

Amen!

Thank you for the replies to this thread. I have a mean one too. He is about 6 months old and getting worse. We were keeping him because DD liked him but now she is afraid - he chases her too. I know he picks on her because she is the smallest person in the yard even when there are other people outside. At this point she said as long as he is taken care of while she is at school and it is over when she gets home, she is OK with it. He also crows constantly and has an annoying pitched crow. We have a new hatch of 4 and if one of the chicks is a good rooster, he can replace "Dad". If not, I will do without a roo. What is a good way to separate the bad rooster from the flock?
I find foldable wire dog crates to be of great value in my chickeneering endeavors.
24"L x 18"W x 21"H with smaller wire(1x2) installed on bottom under tray offers versatility for tray use.

I find foldable wire dog crates to be of great value in my chickeneering endeavors.
24"L x 18"W x 21"H with smaller wire(1x2) installed on bottom under tray offers versatility for tray use.

I should buy stock in folding wire dog crates. I use them for many critter purposes.

Back
Top Bottom