mean rooster

kmchick

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Help! My rooster keeps attacking me. Every time I go to let them out in the morning or go into their run he gets aggressive and runs towards me and pecks at my feet. I know he's just doing his job and protecting his ladies but want to know how i can stop this?I've read about picking him up and walking about with him but to be honest I'm not too keen on handling him so wondered if there was any other way to get him to stop? I've also tried going and giving them treats to show him that I'm not a threat and it works while I'm there but then the next time I go out he does the same. Any suggestions appreciated!

Ditch him. Really. He's not doing his job by going after you. He's not protecting his ladies. Watch a fox run into the pen and he'll run the opposite directions. Almost every time, human aggressive cocks are cowards when it comes to real predators. Don't make excuses for him; there's just not a situation in the world where it's appropriate for a cockbird to ever go after a human. There are thousands of very good tempered roosters seeking homes out there; let someone take him and get yourself a good rooster. The only method I've ever found to work in curbing aggression is a swift kick or smack with a heavy rake when he comes after you, you need to make him SCARED of you and recognize you as dominant. But even if you can curb his behavior, you just can't ever trust him or turn your back on him and if the long run its way more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:
I've used a garden spray bottle in the past - they hate it. BUT, I personally agree with QMisha that its really not worth the effort in the long term. I would suggest reading up on how to manage cockerels, get him in the crock pot and then start again, applying the knowledge that you have learned on how to keep them. Prevention is better (and a darn sight easier) than cure.

This link may be of interest to you

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1101665/the-complete-life-cycle-of-a-mostly-happy-rooster

Good luck

Thanks for the replies! I didn't want a rooster in the first place, got given 3 birds, told they were all hens but one turned out to be a rooster! He was lovely when we first got him but he's just hit puberty stage and was hoping it was something he'd grow out of. Would be sad to see him go but will see if anyone else would be willing to take him!

It's decided, i'll have to get rid of him. Just went out to give them some treats and he really went for me. I've started going in with a snow shovel to keep him away but he kept coming after me this time. I couldn't bear to cull him but would anyone else really want to take on an agressive rooster? Not sure what to do

Sorry your Rooster is mean....My last one last year was a mean bugger also....Was great at protecting the hens, from me, the dog, the quad....The Dog and the Rooster chased a fox away into the pasture...Good thing my dog was with the Rooster or he would of been dinner for the fox....
Mine attacked me daily.....He sees you as a threat, so you are right to get rid of him....

Cheers!

It's decided, i'll have to get rid of him. Just went out to give them some treats and he really went for me. I've started going in with a snow shovel to keep him away but he kept coming after me this time. I couldn't bear to cull him but would anyone else really want to take on an agressive rooster? Not sure what to do

Advertise him for free, don't ask any questions. Or, if you want to make sure he has a good life and is well treated before he dies (no matter how soon that may be), mosey on over to the meat section and do some research to see if it is something you can bring yourself to do. Personally, after putting in the time, money and effort to raise a bird, I'd rather eat him myself than give him away. But that's just me.

Advertise him for free, don't ask any questions. Or, if you want to make sure he has a good life and is well treated before he dies (no matter how soon that may be), mosey on over to the meat section and do some research to see if it is something you can bring yourself to do. Personally, after putting in the time, money and effort to raise a bird, I'd rather eat him myself than give him away. But that's just me.

Agreed. If you absolutely can't do it yourself, Advertise a free rooster. Mention he is aggressive. If someone wants him, don't ask questions. Let them take him. Believe me, in the long run, you are absolutely doing the right thing. A bad rooster will do nothing but make your experience keeping chickens unpleasant.

Agreed. If you absolutely can't do it yourself, Advertise a free rooster. Mention he is aggressive. If someone wants him, don't ask questions. Let them take him. Believe me, in the long run, you are absolutely doing the right thing. A bad rooster will do nothing but make your experience keeping chickens unpleasant.

It is starting to become unpleasant, I used to love going out and watching them and bringing them treats but now I dread even having to go and let them out because of the rooster. Have advertised him but no interest yet. Will see if my mother in law will take him, she would have no problem culling him but would make me sad, I loved him when we first got him.

Back
Top Bottom