Mean rooster

My rooster did it to me once, and once only. I showed him whos boss. Now He knows im the "flock leader" if that doesnt work, nothing will im afraid.

Quote:
I use this technique too. As far as my children, I have them pet him while he is being held my me too. So they rub his wattles and comb and touch his feet, etc. My children do not get to hold him because he is just too BIG! By making eye contact and touch him while I am holding him - - - - he gets the message.

I have done this with him since he was a teenager. When he first started learning to crow, he would crow when we walked up - - - that would earn him a FREE snuggle hold. When he started mounting the ladies, he would terrioze them. Everytime he mounted ahen infront of me -- - -Free loving AGAIN. It got where all I had to do was throw him the stink eye and he would take a couple of steps back. . .

I am VERY HAPPY with the roo I created . . . He is 1 year old and very large. He is big enough to do some real damage if he took a urge to do so. Instead he helps me put the girls up at night, I call his name and he comes running
love.gif

My little serama Roo just developed some bad habits. He starting hand pecking and wants to do his "duty" but my girls are only about 12 weeks old and don't let him mount. I do the carry around approach and it seams to work. But you are talking about a cock that I can fit in my jacket pocket. lol

I had some very tasty chicken alfredo last night... that roo never did figure out that the kid is above him in the pecking order...

i have one who still occasionally goes after my feet - but he's a banty sized thing - so he only reaches the middle of my booot... and he does calm down when I tell him"no" I usually will just reach down - grab him and tuck him under my arm - then feed the girls some treats - he doesnt get down until they are done...

i think he likes the cuddles though - so he may just be going after my feet to get my attention - he doesnt act like he's attacking or anything.

If you choose to try the "holding, cuddling, eye contact" routine, exert caution especially if children are involved. Roosters are not beyond pecking at the face with eyes being their primary contact. Use common sense and respect when dealing with a potentially dangerous male animal.

Quote:
AGREED!

My now 9 mos old Welsummer rooster decided to attack me this summer when he was about 6 mos old. I immediately pinned him to the ground and held him there until he calmed down, this behavior bought him one week of humiliation treatment in a baby snuggie while I was doing chores or just for because. I think that he had a flood of hormones and I was toooooo close to his space taking pictures, but this boy had been handled extensively from hatch and I was shocked that he even tried. He will not come near me now, but if he sees me coming he stands very still in one place until he knows my intentions, I like keeping him guessing as to my actions, sometimes I will pick him up and sometimes I will just stand right over him for a few minutes and not touch him then walk away, he hasn't tried anything stupid since then. I will not use him for breeding because of this one incident so I put him in charge of the laying flock ladies where he has the least exposure to people or me.

this is so funny, I am looking for another Welsummer rooster for the same reason...he stalked women...every female that went out there he followed and hit....one day I was filling water buckets and he came around and hit me and left a hole in my leg...last straw...so I gave him away....no I need another one

I had a big Barred Rock rooster named Foghorn. Hated my wife and would hit the fence trying to get to her as she aproached the chicken yard.

When we went in to collect eggs I would have to keep myself between Foghorn and my young son to keep him from spurring him. If I wasn't viligent he would swing around behind and attack. I would not go in without one of those wire leg catchers. I had used much force with Foghorn and it made him no difference. He attacked my son one day when I had my back turned and I swung around and hit him with a catcher up side his head. Hard. It knocked him down but he got up, shook his head and dropped his wing down a little for another charge. That rooster had no quit in him at all.

If I was by myself he would circle me but not come into range. It was a standoff each time.

One day he got out of the fenced run and trapped my neighbors wife in her barn. She had her cell phone and had to call her husband to come rescue her.

I had to cull poor Foghorn that evening. We loved that rooster though.

Yep.

I've got a mean rooster. But, no one goes out there but me. (The "kids" are all grown and on their own.) I've got a short shovel nearby and a garden rake. He doesn't stand a chance against ME.

I keep him because he is such a good rooster. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't hesitate to give a hawk or owl a very good battle.
(But, I won't let other people go around him.) I've "knocked him silly" a couple of times...but after a week or so...his memory fades and he'll come after me again.

ONE DAY....I'll probably KILL him. BUT...he is a good rooster...insofar as taking care of his "family". So, I kinda let him do his job.

I think he would give my Boxer dog a pretty good battle also.

His name is: "Oro Blanco de Gallo" (Spanish for: "White Gold, the Rooster" ) He's a "Golden Comet" half-breed rooster and he DOES "Rule-the-Roost" !!!

Tough Ole Bugger !!!
---but NOT as Tough and NOT as OLD and MEAN as ME---
yippiechickie.gif
lol.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom