Mean tom turkeys

smcginnis

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 12, 2014
I have two Tom's and two hens. Until today, the toms would always been nice to me, but chase the other 5 people in the house. This morning, the two Tom's are making a difference noise and if I turn my back on them, they will attack me is it time to eat them, or what is the cause of this new behavior.

I have two Tom's and two hens. Until today, the toms would always been nice to me, but chase the other 5 people in the house. This morning, the two Tom's are making a difference noise and if I turn my back on them, they will attack me is it time to eat them, or what is the cause of this new behavior.
Maybe that is why they used to chase the 5 girls at my house and leave me alone. But now I am competition. Hahaha

Maybe that is why they used to chase the 5 girls at my house and leave me alone. But now I am competition. Hahaha
Turkeys have a pecking order just like chickens and they are always looking to take advantage of weakness in other turkeys. Human imprinted turkeys think you are one of them, Sounds like from the start they dominated the 5 girls always keeping them in line. But you had dominance over them until now. Probably because of breeding season coming in they are going to challenge you for that dominancy just as they would another tom. That is just their nature to always challenge for dominancy. It's not that they all of the sudden became mean it is just their nature and it is that way with most turkeys but there are always a few acceptations to everything, but you never know when it might or might not happen.

Turkeys have a pecking order just like chickens and they are always looking to take advantage of weakness in other turkeys. Human imprinted turkeys think you are one of them, Sounds like from the start they dominated the 5 girls always keeping them in line. But you had dominance over them until now. Probably because of breeding season coming in they are going to challenge you for that dominancy just as they would another tom. That is just their nature to always challenge for dominancy. It's not that they all of the sudden became mean it is just their nature and it is that way with most turkeys but there are always a few acceptations to everything, but you never know when it might or might not happen.
Yes, I think you are right. I am now part of the pecking order. I have found, if I confront them, and wait for them to jump up and try and attack me like a fighting cock, and then when they jump up at me and expose their breast to me, I kick them. After one or two times kicking them, they go away and leave me alone. I guess they learn that I am at the top of the pecking order. Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom