Mean tom turkeys

Yes, I think you are right. I am now part of the pecking order. I have found, if I confront them, and wait for them to jump up and try and attack me like a fighting cock, and then when they jump up at me and expose their breast to me, I kick them. After one or two times kicking them, they go away and leave me alone. I guess they learn that I am at the top of the pecking order. Hahaha
Use a broom or something to push them away. Never kick them. You have no idea what bones you could break by kicking them.

Yes, I think you are right. I am now part of the pecking order. I have found, if I confront them, and wait for them to jump up and try and attack me like a fighting cock, and then when they jump up at me and expose their breast to me, I kick them. After one or two times kicking them, they go away and leave me alone. I guess they learn that I am at the top of the pecking order. Hahaha
My roo figured that out after he got a swift kick too. He now looks at me with respect. 😅

Just cull them if you feel like you have to kick them to control them. It doesn't work in the long run. They will come back and try to attack again and again. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but someday when your back is turned they will attack again. Turkeys are OBSESSED with pecking order.

Same with rooster. He doesn't respect you. He's scared for now, but he will get over it and attack again in the future.

Use a broom or something to push them away. Never kick them. You have no idea what bones you could break by kicking them.
I disagree, I want them to recognize me as the one who is at the top of the pecking order, not the broom.

I disagree, I want them to recognize me as the one who is at the top of the pecking order, not the broom.
That's fine but kicking is not the way to go. I consider kicking an animal to be animal abuse. You also don't know how much physical damage you are doing to the animal including breaking bones.

Personally I don't have these issues with my turkeys because I do not imprint them. Mine understand that there is a difference between people and turkeys.

One method to show the turkey who is boss is to pick it up, hold it between your arm and rib cage shoved up into your armpit to control its wings while that same hand is firmly holding both legs. Carry it around for awhile.

Last edited:
That's fine but kicking is not the way to go. I consider kicking an animal to be animal abuse. You also don't now how much physical damage you are doing to the animal including breaking bones.

Personally I don't have these issues with my turkeys because I do not imprint them. Mine understand that there is a difference between people and turkeys.

One method to show the turkey who is boss is to pick it up, hold it between your arm and rib cage shoved up into your armpit to control its wings while that same hand is firmly holding both legs. Carry it around for awhile.

That's fine but kicking is not the way to go. I consider kicking an animal to be animal abuse. You also don't now how much physical damage you are doing to the animal including breaking bones.

Hahaha, I too am an animal. When they put out their talons and jump up to try and get me, I am not afraid to kick them and show them who is boss. If they continue the bad behavior, I will get out my machete and cut off their head and eat them. Do you also call that animal abuse. I call it turkey dinner. Hahaha

Hahaha, I too am an animal. When they put out their talons and jump up to try and get me, I am not afraid to kick them and show them who is boss. If they continue the bad behavior, I will get out my machete and cut off their head and eat them. Do you also call that animal abuse. I call it turkey dinner. Hahaha
A quick clean humane kill is not animal abuse. Kicking an animal is animal abuse and if you check your state laws you will find it there.

A quick clean humane kill is not animal abuse. Kicking an animal is animal abuse and if you check your state laws you will find it there.
My state laws says it is ok to kick them back if they kick first. Hahaha

You and I both know that is not true.
I also used to break horses from bucking by tieing two tires to the saddle horn, and let one hang down on each side of the horse. He would go up, the tires would go up, when he came down, the tires would come down and slap him in the sides. Pretty soon, he would learn, if he didn't buck, he wouldn't get punched in the side by the tires. Depended how smart the horse was, as to how long it took. I am old, I did things the old school way. They probably have new ways of doing that now. Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom