Meaning of this chicken poop 💩?

Aug 31, 2021
Noticed this poop tonight on my nightly check. It’s from my new chick that I got a week ago. She’s 9 weeks old. It’s got red in it and I’m not sure if that’s healthy or not? What’s your thoughts?

Attachments

• 0B26E1AE-08BF-4578-94C4-C2CF6DF44DB8.jpeg
    0B26E1AE-08BF-4578-94C4-C2CF6DF44DB8.jpeg
    554.9 KB · Views: 12
  • B3555FF4-372E-4618-BD92-EAAC64A5F078.jpeg
    B3555FF4-372E-4618-BD92-EAAC64A5F078.jpeg
    506.1 KB · Views: 7
How is she acting? Is this the only dropping like this? Do you have a vet that will run a fecal test for you? They can check for coccidia and other internal parasites. That looks like intestinal shed rather than blood (unless color is not showing accurate in picture or on my monitor). Occasional shed can be nothing to worry about. If you are seeing a lot of it, or if it gets worse, or if the chick seems off at all, lethargic or sleepy, or not eating and drinking well, I would treat for coccidiosis to be safe. Coccidiosis is very common in chicks and in birds that are moved to new ground, treatment is very safe and will do no harm even if it's not coccidiosis. And if it IS coccidiosis, some strains can progress quickly and be fatal quickly. Treatment is Corid (if you are in the US), available at many feed stores, tractor supply stores, and on line. You can use either the powder or the liquid, I will attach pictures of both. If you suspect it's coccidiosis then start treatment as soon as possible.
Dosing for the liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 -7 days, then 1/2 tsp per gallon for 5 -7 days, make fresh daily and make sure it's the only water available.
Dosing for the powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days and then 1/3 tsp for 5-7 days, make fresh daily and again has to be the only water available (no puddles, streams, ponds, other water sources, etc).
1033284.jpg

2202129.jpg

How is she acting? Is this the only dropping like this? Do you have a vet that will run a fecal test for you? They can check for coccidia and other internal parasites. That looks like intestinal shed rather than blood (unless color is not showing accurate in picture or on my monitor). Occasional shed can be nothing to worry about. If you are seeing a lot of it, or if it gets worse, or if the chick seems off at all, lethargic or sleepy, or not eating and drinking well, I would treat for coccidiosis to be safe. Coccidiosis is very common in chicks and in birds that are moved to new ground, treatment is very safe and will do no harm even if it's not coccidiosis. And if it IS coccidiosis, some strains can progress quickly and be fatal quickly. Treatment is Corid (if you are in the US), available at many feed stores, tractor supply stores, and on line. You can use either the powder or the liquid, I will attach pictures of both. If you suspect it's coccidiosis then start treatment as soon as possible.
Dosing for the liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 -7 days, then 1/2 tsp per gallon for 5 -7 days, make fresh daily and make sure it's the only water available.
Dosing for the powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days and then 1/3 tsp for 5-7 days, make fresh daily and again has to be the only water available (no puddles, streams, ponds, other water sources, etc).
View attachment 2851196
View attachment 2851197
She had two droppings of this sort. I’ve quarantined her from the others but she’s acting very normal, eating and drinking without problems. I’m located in Canada so I’ve asked in my local chicken Facebook page where I can find corrid if it’s available here.

In Canada, I believe you have to get it from a vet. Brands there are different, Amprol I think is one. Medication is amprolium.

Back
Top Bottom