Mearns Quail Hatching

Same guy I got mine from. Only one fertile out of 6. I dissected them too, not fertile. Tried to reason with him and he is determined his eggs are fertile. Ive been raising quail and dealing with shipped eggs for years....these eggs were intact just not fertile. You need to do everyone a favor and report him and get him kicked off ebay. He wont work with his customers at all and doesnt need by to be selling eggs period! Its untrustworthy breeders like that that give us hard working breeders a bad name. 27 pairs my foot...check back on the ebay auction where you bought them and see the "one" pair he has in the pic. Please go through the refund process on ebay, then paypal....maybe they will kick him this time.
Oh and if your one Mearns develops and makes it to pipping stage, they pip then can remain in that egg without hatching up to 4 days but will hatch....use a low humidity (40-45%) during development and kick it up a lil bit for lock down. Normal incubation is 25 days. Good luck. Dont forget to do the ebay refund...shipped eggs are risky, we all know this, but its not the shipping with those eggs...do a refund for "not as advertised" he advertised fertile eggs and they were not. If it was cheap eggs, I would say right it off as a learning experience, but im sure you're out plenty on mearns eggs!

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. Yes, I saw the one pair...also his ad was a private auction which draws a "red flag". Did you file a report? This will be my next step. Thanks for the tip with humidity.

Yes I did, through ebay and paypal. Hopefully you can get your money back. There is nothing written in their refund policy that states they dont guarantee agricultural purchases either so dont let them tell you that. If they do ask them for a copy that you can see. Good luck and thanks. Keep me posted on your one hatch and let me know if you need help. I had a time with mine but now hes 3.5 weeks old and healthy. Oh and if you want a trusted breeder for mearns, i found a good one but you need to get on his waiting list now.... $150 for 10 eggs. Starts shipping in June and doesnt trick light his birds.

Thanks, will do. I saw a pre sale listing on eBay for June delivery..
I would like to be on his list..can you supply his contact info either through pm or public.

Goto my google+ page, go on google+ and search for a community called "quail enthusiasts" I have him listed there as a recommended breeder. Scott O'Brien. 20 yrs experience raising quail...raises mearns, mountain and benson quail. If you cant find it, pm me and ill send you his number.
Thanks

UncleFrank did you say you got yours from a guy in In?Or Scott O'Brien?I don't know who the guy is in In.,but Scott is in Maine,so I am getting confused.I have been to Scotts place (a few years ago)and he did have a few pairs of Mearns.I don't know the exact count on pairs.
I found Scott to be a stand up guy and very knowledgeable on quail.He and a few other breeders were the ones who helped repopulate the harlequin quail and possibly stopped them from extinction.
In N.H.,Tony.

No scott is an awesome breeder of quail and who im recommending to get Mearns eggs from. Hes been breeding quail for over 20 yrs and takes his bloodlines very serious! Great breeder!
The other guy is from Indiana and not trustworthy one bit! Code name is bestdlsonweb4u on ebay...sells mearns eggs and those high dollar black chicken eggs...does not back up his sales whatsoever and selling infertile eggs. A good breeder always checks his fertility before selling eggs to anyone...i assumed I got his first batch and only one was fertile but after reading this thread i know he isnt trustworthy. Wont be getting my business again thats for sure.
Scott O'Brien is a very good breeder and highly recommended from me. Lives in Maine and is a lobster fisherman and rare game bird breeder. Knows his stuff and has the best price out there.

Ok that cleared it up.I know Scott is a good guy and won't try to take anyones money so I had to ask to get a clear answer.Thank you.
In N.H.,Tony.

Yea he is an excellent breeder and very knowledgeable. Dont know where the confusion was but I'll let him know you had his back lol. Talked to him yesterday. I will be getting mearns eggs and a couple pairs of Benson quail from him this year. He is highly recommended on my quail page.

Well tell him I said hi.Do you know if he is still raising any pheasants.I thought I saw an ad of his saying he is selling out of them,but you never know.I am in need of a Mikado male if you know anyone that might have an extra.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom