Meat and Eggs

Guccibirds423

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 7, 2012
Hills of East Tennessee
So I am really considering on what kind of bird I wanna raise just for my meat and eggs. I am working on redcaps and yea they supply a lil but I will be mosly hatching everything and culling a lot even at young age. I know a lot of the small brids such as leghorn and such isnt great table birds but would they be decent. I will eat any color eggs I wouldnt care if it was purple. but some family only like white eggs. I love the leghorns but would extra roosters be any good at all for meat production? Such as cut up as fryers? or would they do better whole? what other breeds could I consider? More and likely I will be getting them from a hatchery. unless I find a good breeder with eggs.

Usually people use birds that are classed as "dual purpose," meaning for meat and eggs. Examples are Rhode island Red, Barred Rock, Delaware, etc. I believe Redcaps are a bantam, which is not going to give much meat, just as a Leghorn is not.

I have played in the chicken world for several years, mostly with dual purpose breeds, but just hatchery birds. This year my Christmas money is going to Delawares - a very good dual purpose breed, for eggs and meat production.

If you want a good large white egg layer, a leghorn is a great bird, but there is nothing to them, maybe a stewing hen, for mostly broth at the end, but not much else. I think the cockerals will be very little meat, but more tender, so if you did several at once, you could get a meal, but it is a lot of feathers for a small amount of meat.

If you need the white eggs for your picky eaters, get a few Leghorn, and then a good dual purpose flock for the rest, you can use your brown eggs to bake with or to sneak into scrambled eggs.

MrsK

I'll always vouch for the Black Australorp, what I have, Great brown egg layers (broken records for their laying, Something I read in one of my books) and a large breed so good for meat
smile.png

I raised 6 black australorps last year I got from TSC. I loved them. I really want a breed where I can get different color/varieties. I am considering something like an assortment of rocks or something.

A local chicken farmer from a few towns over. Haven't had any problems with them at all so far. Healthy and has been laying plenty of eggs for us
smile.png
Mmm I'm not familiar with all the breeds yet so not sure what the best ones that would be for you. I just adore my australorps
love.gif
Good luck finding one, I'm constantly browsing this site and looking up information so i'll keep an eye out for different breeds.

A local chicken farmer from a few towns over. Haven't had any problems with them at all so far. Healthy and has been laying plenty of eggs for us
smile.png
Mmm I'm not familiar with all the breeds yet so not sure what the best ones that would be for you. I just adore my australorps
love.gif
Good luck finding one, I'm constantly browsing this site and looking up information so i'll keep an eye out for different breeds.
I like lorps. so if I can find someone with hatching eggs I may go that route. :D Your birds are gorgeous that is for sure.

I have had rhode reds and rocks hatch at the same time. Around 8 weeks I would cull the males from the females. I would just skin them, it was a lot easier, two minutes each and they were clean. At that age there was a huge difference with the meat on the bone. I would have to imagine that the rocks probably ate more.

Back
Top Bottom