1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

meat bird diets?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickalator, Apr 8, 2009.

1. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    does anyone have a favcorite diet for keeping a cornish x relatively lean? i want 2 start my own strain with some tsc cornish chicks i picked up earlier. do you guys hand mix your feed for this purpose?

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    What did you mean by start your own strain? Breed tham? The Cornish X is a hybrid, and chances are not good that you can get them to reproduce. They are generally too large at sexual maturity to breed successfully even if you can get them to live that long.

3. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    I successfully mated a CornishX with a turken rooster. the offspring are awesome. I have one naked neck and one full feathered. They are big chickens, though not as big as momma, they are about the size of a buff orpington. They are two of my premier layers, neither has gone broody on me yet though they will be only a year old in june.

When i bought the birds i did not know they were meat birds, because they are called something totally different here in Puerto Rico. Anyway I went and got attached to it and didn't have the stones to kill it when I found out it was a cornish x.

I raised it with my layers, so it had stiff competition for food and didn't get too fat too soon, but ultimately she developed some breathing issues and died.

I'll never raise a cornish x in that manner again. But i've paired her daughters with a buff orp roo. cant wait to see what these chicks will be like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by