1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meat bird issues....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bethaldridge, Jul 3, 2008.

1. bethaldridge

bethaldridge Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Friend and I went in on 50 White Mountain Broilers and 6 turkeys...

We picked them up on the 26th. As of today 18 chicks have died and 4 turkeys have died. They are staying at her house and I have NO idea WHAT is going on!!!!

They are in a brooder, they are eating, drinking, they are moving about freely. The only thing that is really confusing me is that they look as though they are picking at each other. Like picking feathers off of each others heads necks, backs etc.

What is going on??? 66% of the Turkeys GONE! 36% of the chickens GONE!

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's too soon for coccidiossis to really be decimating them that much. Are they getting too cold or too chilled?

The missing feathers are not from picking. Broilers and turkeys just can't keep fully feathered due to their rapid growth.

3. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    They need to be under a red light, it sounds like they are cannibalizing each other, the red light will keep them from spotting blood on each other. There instinct is to pick at everything, especially if it is bleeding. White meat birds are especially bad at this.

4. HFC

HFC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    Crosby, TX
    Red light or white?

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Red light to be safe and make sure cannabalism isn't the issue.

I would also go over there and watch them closely. Could they be getting cold, being in the house?

-Kim

6. bethaldridge

bethaldridge Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    I think it's a white light. I'll make sure to get a red one tomorrow if anyplace is open. The temps here are in the 80's-90's during the day and the temp is 93 under the brooder.

7. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I only use red lights after losing 25 Indian Runner ducklings. I was told it was probably due to the white heat lamp keeping them awake so they weren't getting adequate rest. Whether or not that's true, I've since swapped to red lights only and that problem vanished.

Good luck with the rest of your chicks. That sort of thing is insanely frustrating.

8. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    They may be getting too hot and not enough space. Meat chicks produce alot of heat and if they get overheated they die fast.

If it is that warm during the day turn the light off all together. You will be able to tell if they are cold, they will peep loud and they will pig pile. I would only turn the light back on if the temps really drop at night. I shut the light off on mine after they are a week old. They keep eachother pretty warm.

Good luck with them

9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:Can you post a picture of the brooder you have them in?How big is it? Will

10. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    sounds like you have them in too small a brooder but a picture would help us greatly. how big is your brooder for that many chicks and poults?

also, make sure they are getting (at least the turkeys) 22% or more protein in their feed. they will die without enough protein.

if you have them in a brooder that doesn't have a wire bottom, you need to clean out the pine shavings everyday since those guys poop a storm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by