Meat bird issues....

bethaldridge

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Friend and I went in on 50 White Mountain Broilers and 6 turkeys...

We picked them up on the 26th. As of today 18 chicks have died and 4 turkeys have died. They are staying at her house and I have NO idea WHAT is going on!!!!

They are in a brooder, they are eating, drinking, they are moving about freely. The only thing that is really confusing me is that they look as though they are picking at each other. Like picking feathers off of each others heads necks, backs etc.

What is going on??? 66% of the Turkeys GONE! 36% of the chickens GONE!

It's too soon for coccidiossis to really be decimating them that much. Are they getting too cold or too chilled?

The missing feathers are not from picking. Broilers and turkeys just can't keep fully feathered due to their rapid growth.

They need to be under a red light, it sounds like they are cannibalizing each other, the red light will keep them from spotting blood on each other. There instinct is to pick at everything, especially if it is bleeding. White meat birds are especially bad at this.

Red light to be safe and make sure cannabalism isn't the issue.

I would also go over there and watch them closely. Could they be getting cold, being in the house?

-Kim

I think it's a white light. I'll make sure to get a red one tomorrow if anyplace is open. The temps here are in the 80's-90's during the day and the temp is 93 under the brooder.

I only use red lights after losing 25 Indian Runner ducklings. I was told it was probably due to the white heat lamp keeping them awake so they weren't getting adequate rest. Whether or not that's true, I've since swapped to red lights only and that problem vanished.

Good luck with the rest of your chicks. That sort of thing is insanely frustrating.

They may be getting too hot and not enough space. Meat chicks produce alot of heat and if they get overheated they die fast.

If it is that warm during the day turn the light off all together. You will be able to tell if they are cold, they will peep loud and they will pig pile. I would only turn the light back on if the temps really drop at night. I shut the light off on mine after they are a week old. They keep eachother pretty warm.

Good luck with them

sounds like you have them in too small a brooder but a picture would help us greatly. how big is your brooder for that many chicks and poults?

also, make sure they are getting (at least the turkeys) 22% or more protein in their feed. they will die without enough protein.

if you have them in a brooder that doesn't have a wire bottom, you need to clean out the pine shavings everyday since those guys poop a storm.

Back
Top Bottom