Meat bird legs

Mike47

Hatching
May 27, 2020
This is my first time raising Cornish rocks a friend of mine has done them in the past and when I just sent her a picture she questioned why do they have pinkish legs and not all of them have yellow I am looking for the answer to that if there is one

Attachments

• 3B4FA826-AE32-448A-82AE-FA7C22B69E9A.jpeg
    3B4FA826-AE32-448A-82AE-FA7C22B69E9A.jpeg
    808.7 KB · Views: 14
Where did you purchase or which particular breed do you have? Call the breeder to see if pink feet are a concern or a selected trait. I'm guessing neither are cause for concern since all appear to have pink feet.

If the chickens are healthy, active and growing, why worry about their feet color?

Welcome to BYC! If you use the search feature in the upper right hand corner, you can learn a lot.

That is interesting, thanks for posting and including a photo. Most Cornish Rocks in the US have yellow feet because that gives a preferred skin color to the carcass. People in other places may prefer other skin colors. But I don't think that's it. I see some with yellow legs. And I think the same strains of Cornish Rocks are used worldwide.

Leg color is genetic. It can even be sex linked but I don't recall the details of how that works. It would be interesting to know what strain of Cornish Rock those are but that information isn't always readily available. I suspect it has something to do with genetics but I don't know what. It is a mystery. If you know where they were hatched you could maybe question them.

I agree. As long as they are healthy and growing I don't see any problems unless you have a problem with the skin color on the carcass.

Back
Top Bottom