Meat Bird Project - Delaware, White Rock, Dark Cornish

Pics
Here are some picks of my Dark Cornish roo, Chicken Nuggets (my son named him):

I've separated him and the 5 hens (2 Dels, 3 WRs) from the rest of the flock (2 undersized DC hens, 2 sex-links, 1 WR roo) and the drake duck - he likes to knock Nuggets off the hen, so I'm afraid it's hurting fertility. This way I can gather the 5 eggs everyday and should be able to differentiate between the Del and WR eggs. We have a bit of a time constraint with this next batch, we have a photographer friend coming on 3/26 to take photos with the bunnies and chicks for Easter.

pop.gif
thumbsup.gif

So I weighed them yesterday afternoon, and here are the average weights (in grams):

WR
WR/Del 80
Dark Cornish crosses

Compared to this same time last batch:

WR 67
Del 60
DC 67

This increase could be that there are more cockerels, or that the selective breeding and hybrid vigor is working. But looking at the individual weights, the WRs are just over the largest of each sex from the last batch, so I'm encouraged that the experiment is working. There's one DCX that is bigger than the next biggest by 18%! It'll be interesting to see how this all progresses.

Last edited:
So, here are the averages from today:

WR 110
WR/Del 121
Dark Cornish crosses 116

Compared to last Gen. 1:

WR
Del 82
DC 90

I also spent some time today on my new feeder and watering system for the brooder, which I moved outside yesterday. I'll have some pics from those later, should make for more room in the brooder. I had 9 ducklings hatch the other day, and I lost one chick (the largest DCX, the GOLIATH I was looking forward to weighing) when he was found belly up one morning. So that makes 9 chicks and 9 ducklings in a very large Rubbermaid tote. It's a lot roomier now, but still not big enough for 18 growing babies. I'll be removing the ducklings in another few days so the chicks have more room, then all of them will be moved out to the tractor coop by the end of the month, if not sooner. And I already have my next batch of 12 DCs in the bator. Based on the numbers above, I may just do WR/Del crosses for the next batch to see if the numbers hold up with a more diluted grouping. (I'm kind of kicking myself for dispatching of my Del rooster, it would be cool to see if the weights go up or down with the Del over WR.)

Last edited:
So, here are the averages from today:

WR 110
WR/Del 121
Dark Cornish crosses 116

Compared to last Gen. 1:

WR
Del 82
DC 90

I also spent some time today on my new feeder and watering system for the brooder, which I moved outside yesterday. I'll have some pics from those later, should make for more room in the brooder. I had 9 ducklings hatch the other day, and I lost one chick (the largest DCX, the GOLIATH I was looking forward to weighing) when he was found belly up one morning. So that makes 9 chicks and 9 ducklings in a very large Rubbermaid tote. It's a lot roomier now, but still not big enough for 18 growing babies. I'll be removing the ducklings in another few days so the chicks have more room, then all of them will be moved out to the tractor coop by the end of the month, if not sooner. And I already have my next batch of 12 DCs in the bator. Based on the numbers above, I may just do WR/Del crosses for the next batch to see if the numbers hold up with a more diluted grouping. (I'm kind of kicking myself for dispatching of my Del rooster, it would be cool to see if the weights go up or down with the Del over WR.)

Really enjoying following. Sorry about the loss.

I'd be constantly second guessing myself if I was making the right choices like you mention with the Del rooster.

How is brooding the ducklings and chicks together working for you? I'm brooding some of both right now, but separately. Six ducklings, four EE chicks, and I can't believe the mess of the ducklings. I'd heard they were messy, but wow. Can't imagine having them together. Hoping our weather breaks quickly so I can get them out to their future duck house and out of the garage.

Anyhow, enjoying following along. Thanks.

Since all your birds are meant for food not selling, I wouldn't worry about the aggressive roo either. But if selling birds or hatching eggs, it would be better to breed out that aggressiveness toward humans.

Yeah, I would definitely work to breed out the bad attitude if I was keeping with this line long-term. However, I am working on getting some better stock from some breeders as early as this spring. If that happens (finger crossed as I'm SUPER excited!), I will likely keep this existing flock separate and possibly rehome them with a buddy who is interested in raising some table birds. I'm pretty encouraged by the numbers so far though, for them to be as heavy as they are already with just hatchery stock - and you know what? I think that was the point of this thread! To see if just anyone could start a decent meat-flock from hatchery stock and a season of selective breeding for size.

For my upcoming project with the breeder stock, I will also keep track of weights of the individual breeds and crosses. That way we can see if it's a huge difference, or minimal enough that it's not worth the extra effort. (I have a feeling it's going to be a fairly large difference.) And with that batch, I will breed for temperament as well as size. If all works out, I should be able to go for 3 generations with each breed before I need to start looking for new blood to add to the lines. Potentially, that's a full decade or more.

Yeah, I would definitely work to breed out the bad attitude if I was keeping with this line long-term. However, I am working on getting some better stock from some breeders as early as this spring. If that happens (finger crossed as I'm SUPER excited!), I will likely keep this existing flock separate and possibly rehome them with a buddy who is interested in raising some table birds. I'm pretty encouraged by the numbers so far though, for them to be as heavy as they are already with just hatchery stock - and you know what? I think that was the point of this thread! To see if just anyone could start a decent meat-flock from hatchery stock and a season of selective breeding for size.

For my upcoming project with the breeder stock, I will also keep track of weights of the individual breeds and crosses. That way we can see if it's a huge difference, or minimal enough that it's not worth the extra effort. (I have a feeling it's going to be a fairly large difference.) And with that batch, I will breed for temperament as well as size. If all works out, I should be able to go for 3 generations with each breed before I need to start looking for new blood to add to the lines. Potentially, that's a full decade or more.
I think you have definitely proved your initial point. The second generation will be very interesting!

I think you have definitely proved your initial point. The second generation will be very interesting!
I'm not sure if the point is proven yet, but it will be interesting indeed to see if it is. The other thing that will be interesting to see is if the DCXs are sex-linked. I have 5 DCXs, started with 7. Of those 7, half were Del crosses, the other half WR crosses. Now I have 4 that are orange with brown/black markings, and one that looks like a DC (brown/black all over).

It looks like the WRs are 1 cockerel, 1 pullet. The WR/Del crosses are a bit harder to tell at this point, and the DCXs are nearly impossible.

Back
Top Bottom